Knowing your s**t or knowing you're s**t

“Put a pin in it”

FFS I hate that one.
Argh! I have to chew the inside of my cheek to avoid commenting when I hear that on a conference call!

I check I’m on mute and mutter expletives! (And believe me, I could make a squaddie blush!)

Argh! I have to chew the inside of my cheek to avoid commenting when I hear that on a conference call!

I check I’m on mute and mutter expletives! (And believe me, I could make a squaddie blush!)

Very true, even have to turn video off now as everyone is an expert lip reader.

Even worse when Yanks are on a call:cautious:

Got this leaflet from VOSA last month. The car has a safety recall.

If HM Government can’t even spell licence correctly, then our kids are doomed.....

389F52EB-45F8-4277-BE29-17843E5155B0.png

• Haha
Reactions: Jlo
Nooooo, that’s another one,
No, you’re not going to “swap out” your tyres, you’re going to change them. :think smile bounce:
Believe it or not the word ‘change’ causes chaos in the maintenance world when it should be ‘renew’.

Got this leaflet from VOSA last month. The car has a safety recall.

If HM Government can’t even spell licence correctly, then our kids are doomed.....

View attachment 90676
I despair! The committee were probably so hung up on whether it was “affect” or “effect” that it was missed!

Believe it or not the word ‘change’ causes chaos in the maintenance world when it should be ‘renew’.
That only works if you’re replacing with “new”! See what I did there?!!!

Reactions: DXX
Ok then, how about this then.

Is it,

"I've got a pen",

or,

"I have a pen"?

I'm in a constant battle with my teenage kids who always use, "have", when I think it should be, "got".

Example.

"I have a friend who has a cat", my child would say, but I would say, "I've got a friend who's got a cat", but probably should say, "I have got a friend who has got a cat". (or is it, "that has got a cat"?)

Ok then, how about this then.

Is it,

"I've got a pen",

or,

"I have a pen"?

I'm in a constant battle with my teenage kids who always use, "have", when I think it should be, "got".

Example.

"I have a friend who has a cat", my child would say, but I would say, "I've got a friend who's got a cat", but probably should say, "I have got a friend who has got a cat". (or is it, "that has got a cat"?)
*Sticks head above parapet with trepidation...!

It is a variation of a tautology called a pleonasm.

In English, (and for the benefit of @Texxaco,) “have” and “have got” are interchangeable and generally mean the same. ”Have got” is considered to be less formal when used to denote possession (eg “I have got a pen with me for my written exam”) though it can be used to emphasise an obligation (eg “You have got to take a pen to the written exam.”)

Edit: “Got” is redundant in both examples - it can be removed from either without diluting the meaning, hence the view that it signifies less formality.

*crawls back under rock for safety!

Last edited:
It bothers me more than it should, but then I'm fascinated by communication and language.
Its not just on forums but elsewhere too, newspapers, magazines, TV schedules... I've even seen it in rolling TV credits!
Some forum posts are difficult to 'decode', usually caused by devices with prediction and substitution - and who bothers to proof-read a post before clicking 'Post Reply'? (I do, cant help it!) ;)
When technical terms are used as management-speak. "I'll ping you later". They've no clue what the acronym stands for or how ICMP works.
My pet niggles include there/their, of/have, your/you're, "can I get" and Americanisms like 'regular' which is related to frequency, not size:
"Fish & chips please". "Regular?" "No, just this once please I'm only passing through..." regular_smile.gif

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Back