Knowing your s**t or knowing you're s**t

*Sticks head above parapet with trepidation...!

It is a variation of a tautology called a pleonasm.

In English, (and for the benefit of @Texxaco,) “have” and “have got” are interchangeable and generally mean the same. ”Have got” is considered to be less formal when used to denote possession (eg “I have got a pen with me for my written exam”) though it can be used to emphasise an obligation (eg “You have got to take a pen to the written exam.”)

Edit: “Got” is redundant in both examples - it can be removed from either without diluting the meaning, hence the view that it signifies less formality.

*crawls back under rock for safety!

No, this is great.

So I think I'm wrong and just want my kids to use the same words as me because that was how may parents taught/spoke to me.

I've definitely taught my kids to use a knife and fork properly though.

Cheers.

No, this is great.

So I think I'm wrong and just want my kids to use the same words as me because that was how may parents taught/spoke to me.

Cheers.
Do you refer to the pompous arse?

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
No, this is great.

Cheers.

I use my cutlery in my wrong hands, I'm right handed and use my fork in my right hand. (I'm a terrible human)

No, this is great.

I've definitely taught my kids to use a knife and fork properly though

Cheers.
Hiya,

I am not an "expert" but I believe that both you and your kids are correct! Honestly, I'm not! I admire that you are picking them up on these things as you were when you were a kid. Get the "Three R's" right as everything else is just turd-polishing unless it is for a specific subject!

When you posed a tricky query, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get on my high horse and tag @Texxaco as he had been ripping the p1ss out of me in the thread earlier!

JOG

Reactions: .50
When technical terms are used as management-speak.

Oh, this is so true! There's a team at work who are so irritated by this, they deliberately litter the conversation with "techie-speak" until "Mangle-ment" concedes and asks for an explanation. (They are chatting away in a separate Teams window to the call, nominating terms to be included by whoever is speaking to the offending manager!)

Hiya,

I am not an "expert" but I believe that both you and your kids are correct! Honestly, I'm not! I admire that you are picking them up on these things as you were when you were a kid. Get the "Three R's" right as everything else is just turd-polishing unless it is for a specific subject!

When you posed a tricky query, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get on my high horse and tag @Texxaco as he had been ripping the p1ss out of me in the thread earlier!

JOG
Reading, Righting, Rithmatic are they the 3 Rs?

Once, in an enthusiastic mood at McDonalds drive-through, I stupidly followed this up.
"Do you want regular fries?" "Oh yes please, that would be great. Can you do every Wednesday at 5?"
This unfortunate burst of smart-arsedness caused utter bafflement, a messed-up order, and much honking from the queue behind. Never again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Once, in an enthusiastic mood at McDonalds drive-through, I stupidly followed this up.
"Do you want regular fries?" "Oh yes please, that would be great. Can you do every Wednesday at 5?"
This unfortunate burst of smart-arsedness caused utter bafflement, a messed-up order, and honking from the queue behind. Never again!
You dared to depart from the carefully crafted script?!! Is it any wonder you left a trail of chaos and destruction behind you!

Back