Knocking from Koni’s on my campervan

bc26

VIP Member
I’ve had Koni shocks and lowering springs fitted, now when going over bumps the front makes a bang/knock noise and the rear makes what I can only describe as a scrunch noise.
Replaced top mounts and drop links at the same time, it’s a 2018 t28.

Thanks in advance

I’ve had Koni shocks and lowering springs fitted, now when going over bumps the front makes a bang/knock noise and the rear makes what I can only describe as a scrunch noise.
Replaced top mounts and drop links at the same time, it’s a 2018 t28.

Thanks in advance

Did you resolve this problem, mine's making similar noises.

Did you resolve this problem, mine's making similar noises.
Its usually the drop links or the top mounts in front , it wont be the KONI s as suggested by the title of @bc26 post . shocks only make a noise if they are loose on the top nut .
the noise on the rear will likely be the rubber spring mounts , Both these are really common issues and not related to the type of dampers fitted !!

Its usually the drop links or the top mounts in front , it wont be the KONI s as suggested by the title of bc26 post . shocks only make a noise if they are loose on the top nut .
the noise on the rear will likely be the rubber spring mounts , Both these are really common issues and not related to the type of dampers fitted !!
Yes, I agree - I was certain my drop links were noisy but when I removed them both the noise was still there, I'll have to dig deeper!

At least with Bilsteins it's either broken or not broken, can't do with the less clearly defined problem of random knocks so B14s FTW, hurrah!
@Dave and I had noisy drop links on a Zafira years back and that was more of a constant click clack which sounded like the strut top mount was loose.

Yes, I agree - I was certain my drop links were noisy but when I removed them both the noise was still there, I'll have to dig deeper!
Check the top shock nuts, I've known them to work loose and knock.

At least with Bilsteins it's either broken or not broken, can't do with the less clearly defined problem of random knocks so B14s FTW, hurrah!
@Dave and I had noisy drop links on a Zafira years back and that was more of a constant click clack which sounded like the strut top mount was loose.
Actually B14 has the drop link bracket mounted in the wrong position so fitting them actually limits the effectiveness of the ARB, Should always be fitted with longer drop links on all B14 models and the twin adjust project kit. From the same company

Is the noise a metallic clicking or more. A thud , the ARB D bushes also give problems

Is the noise a metallic clicking or more. A thud , the ARB D bushes also give problems
It's a metallic clunking noise, it even does it when I remove the drop links entirely, the ARB seems tight.
It does it over slight road imperfections more that over speed bumps.

Its usually the drop links or the top mounts in front , it wont be the KONI s as suggested by the title of @bc26 post . shocks only make a noise if they are loose on the top nut .
My Koni shock absorber on the N/S/F has failed, it was fitted 06/05/21 and I'm a very gentle driver. Oil pissing out of it. :(

It's a metallic clunking noise, it even does it when I remove the drop links entirely, the ARB seems tight.
It does it over slight road imperfections more that over speed bumps.
Im having exactly the same issue, an intermittent knock but only over road imperfections and at slow speed. did you get to the bottom of it ?

Im having exactly the same issue, an intermittent knock but only over road imperfections and at slow speed. did you get to the bottom of it ?
Yes, as above, the shock absorber had totally failed, as the shock absorbers were only a year old I'd thought it must have been something else but eventually I noticed the oil everywhere and found it was pissing out of the shock absorber top. I contacted CRS Performance and went there, he replaced it, no quible, no cost to me. Top service.

Last edited:
Yes, as above, the shock absorber had totally failed, as the shock absorbers were only a year old I'd thought it must have been something else but eventually I noticed the oil everywhere and found it was pissing out of the shock absorber top. I contacted CRS Performance and went there, he replaced it, no quible, no cost to me. Top service.
Ah yes, sorry I asked the question before reeding your update, my Koni's were only recently checked when I had ARB's fitted and there is no sign of oil leak, I'm thinking its probably drop links.

Ah yes, sorry I asked the question before reeding your update, my Koni's were only recently checked when I had ARB's fitted and there is no sign of oil leak, I'm thinking its probably drop links.
The drop links are generally the noise issues on any make of shock. they don’t always fail but when the A R B loads up they move in the mounting hole. Tighten up normally sorts it out , if not replace .

The Koni shocks have proved beyond any doubt to be the most reliable aftermarket shocks available , it’s important to note if the Koni shocks are genuine Koni catalogue parts and fitted within their design spec they are incredibly reliable And will last for many many miles .
there are some exceptions however, kits like twin adjust and project sensitive have Koni shocks but the poor design of these kits does cause problems .
At CRS we fit approx 400 Koni shocks every month and we see maybe 4 or 5 failures a year max !

Back