Kenwood Dnx8180dabs And Dnx9180dabs

orcades

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience of the following Kenwood Sat-Navs, DNX8180dabs and DNX9180dabs, I have searched forum and online, but cannot find much in the way of reviews. There’s a few reviews on YouTube, but alas I don’t have access to a fast enough internet connection just now to watch.

Was going to go for DNX8180dabs, but not sure if DNX9180dabs is worth the extra money for a better screen, and a few more features.

Thanks,

9DA3975A-E2FF-4094-B426-25F86D4D58D2.jpeg 06248780-EE3A-43E8-832E-E2F5B7B302DE.jpeg 4F47EDF9-C340-4A87-BEF7-A6759FD94676.jpeg

We have installed many of the above..

They are superb units, compared to Pioneer and Alpine they are much faster on application switching,

The dab tuner is the best out there,

Reverse tilt for better viewing.

Both have great screens, but the 9180 with HD is very clear and works tremendously well in very bright light.

The only other difference between the 2 is the 9180 has real picture junction mode on motorways

You won’t be disappointed with 8180 at all if you want to save the difference

We can supply everything at a very competitive price including the interface for parking sensors, mfd, and mfsw (many suppliers can not obtain these)

Hello Absolut5,

Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Having read many good reviews, Absolut5 was on my shortlist of places to go for supply and fit, but alas you’re too far away.

Regards,

Hello Absolut5,

Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Having read many good reviews, Absolut5 was on my shortlist of places to go for supply and fit, but alas you’re too far away.

Regards,

Many travel the length of the country for a headunit install

We are one of the very few who can integrate these correctly, however we can supply it all, and if you have someone who has VCDS we can point them in the right direction for the MFD

961E6F5E-1302-4347-8F0B-F7481850BA8E.jpeg

We have installed many of these into owners of T6s all of them have been impressed by the clarity and speed of the unit.

@Absolut5 I see you’ve got the MFD to display the sat nav directions. Can you do anything with the DNX525DAB?

The only way is to code it and find out..

If it’s the official harness then there is a good chance

Just a follow up to my original post. I did get get the Kenwood DNX9180DABS fitted at Absolut5, great service and very quick fitting of unit. I would recommend Absolut5.

Impressions of the unit, well, great graphics, fast, the CarPlay bit is a bit hit-or-miss, but it was explained that Apple are releasing an update that should hopefully rectify most of the issues.

Navigation on the Kenwood DNX9180DABS is done by Garmin Maps and software, unfortunately this is a Lite version of the Garmin software in my Garmin Sat-Nav. There is no way to plan routes in Basecamp and transfer as a .gpx route file. Unfortunately, the ability to transfer and import Garmin .gpx files was something I thought the unit would do, but alas you only get a very basic version of Garmin Sat-Nav software. So if I want to use any of my .gpx route files I have to use a standalone Garmin Sat-Nav, a bit annoying considering the money spent on fitting a Kenwood DNX9180DABS. I should have asked the questions first I guess, instead of assuming the Garmin software in the Kenwood DNX9180DABS would have the same features as a £200 stand-alone Garmin Sat-Nav.

Appreciate times are changing to more reliance on phone apps for navigation, but I do prefer using Basecamp instead. Route planning can probably be done another way, but it’s annoying when I use .gpx route files on car and motorcycle Garmin Sat-Navs, and can’t use same routes on the Kenwood DNX9180DABS.

The units other features are nice and slick, just a shame the Garmin software is a Lite version of that fitted to a Garmin Sat-Nav you can buy for £200. To be fair if all you want is to do is input an address and go, the Kenwood DNX9180DABS is great. If you want to plan your route in a bit more detail and use a route file, a standalone Garmin Sat-Nav is probably better.

With the DNX9180DABS does CarPlay work via Bluetooth? Or do you have to plug your phone into USB ?

Thanks

With the DNX9180DABS does CarPlay work via Bluetooth? Or do you have to plug your phone into USB ?

Thanks
Via usb,

Cannot really see the sense of wireless especially on journeys, as you will have to plug it in to charge cause all smartphone batteries are terrible

Thanks
Wireless carplay actually communicates over wifi rather than Bluetooth, once it's set up. I agree with Jason though, wireless carplay seems absolutely pointless as it will drain battery and you would probably want to take advantage of being in the vehicle to keep your phone charged anyway.

.. you would probably want to take advantage of being in the vehicle to keep your phone charged anyway.

Plus, it saves the Mrs being able to check your messages via the headunit when you’re stood outside the van refuelling / texting your bit on the side :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Does anybody know if it’s possible to change the tone or silence the parking sensors on the Kenwood DNX9180DABS?

I have tried going through the settings to find a solution.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to change the tone or silence the parking sensors on the Kenwood DNX9180DABS?

I have tried going through the settings to find a solution.

The parking sensor sound is nothing to do with the radio, you can change the tone/volume with VCDS

Okay, thanks for the information. I was hoping there was a simple way to mute the parking sensors, on the VW Discover Pro in my Golf all I have to do is press mute, and it mutes the sound.

Great service by @Absolut5 as usual.
Had the Kenwood DNX8180dabs fitted on Friday.
Pretty happy so far .
My Dab signal issues are a thing of the past now . Signal has been faultless.
My factory composition colour was obviously crap.

Anyone know how I can get Dab station artwork to show . I know the better vw units show station icon/logo. I thought the Kenwood would do it ??!

Back