Kayak Rack

revdecal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have been strapping an inflatable Sevylor kayak direct to the roof of my VW T6 because I'm not a fan of the look of a rack but the time has come to purchase a rigid.

Can anyone recommend a rack system for kayaks that isn't too ugly or maybe I can remove when I'm not using it?

thanks

IMG_5382.JPG

Yeah, but then where's the image kudos in that.. Arriving and getting a bag out of boot, and a pump.. I'd be diasapointed if an inflatable sheep wasn't the end result as an observer...:eek::rofl::rofl: :uh run:

I thought the point of an inflateable one is that you let the air out and pack it away. :)
Just helps prepping before you head out and also dries on your return. Less hassle when you have twin boys to organise as well lol. Usually I don't transport this way as I inflate/deflate when I'm there but it gets a bit funky in the bag as it does not get enough time to dry properly. The rigid kayaks cut through the water better as they have less drag.

I thought the point of an inflateable one is that you let the air out and pack it away. :)
I pumped the wife's inflatable paddle board up the other day to make sure it was OK ready for Bala - I was creamed!! Goes against the point of an inflatable but the idea of being able to transport inflated occasionally appeals lol

I think someone has posted pictures with kayak/canoes on roof ? @mhill

That would be me!

Got a few Kayaks & a Canoe though no inflateable ones. I've got the Thule aero black bars and they did come on and off regularly but I leave the feet attached to the roof for two reasons. Firstly the captive nuts are really crap and poor quality. Secondly I've put a dab of silicone around them to keep things dry.

I can get 5 kayaks on the roof if I use the Eckla J bars either side but my best advice after a roof rack is get a decent boat, the inflatables are a liability. They are just too much effort for too little gain and so easily wind rowed. With this you get a few end up poped along river banks after ending up in the brambles or dragged through the shallows.

Back