Just thought i would post this DPF clean

I’m not convinced these on car dpf cleaning treatments work, the only accepted way to clean the ash out of dpf’s is to back flush them as seen on the big truck dpf’s all over the world (obviously easier to do as they are designed to be removed to be cleaned unlike most car dpf’s which tend to be part of a longer exhaust system part)
The whole idea of the dpf matrix is to catch particulates so the idea that just adding water to the process will allow these particulates to suddenly pass through the filter material seems not to add up. At most you are seeing a minimal amount of the actual stuff that’s blocking the matrix being flushed out. At worst the process could be making what is in there even harder to remove.

Reactions: mmi
I expect this process is for when the DPF is clogged with soot and there is too much for a regen to clear it. The back flush for trucks is to clear out the ash which is a by-product of the regen (and also caused by an engine burning oil or a high SAPS oil being used). If I ever get to the point I have a DPF with too much ash built up, I'll be removing it and backflushing.

I'm very sceptical of terraw**k, forte power-clean etc and anyone who has removed an inlet manifold, EGR valve, cylinder head etc to clean it will know why. I've never found a chemical yet that can dissolve or loosen it so you need to manually remove the build up and you end up with a big pile of abrasive black powder mixed with hard rocks of carbon. If you dislodge this stuff inside an operating engine it can't be good for it. I have a friend who has a service station with terraw**k and he swears by it and has repeat customers - I just can't get my head around it!

Back