Just Paid 230 For Appconnect Not To Work

duffersj

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi just had my van back from my local VW centre after having appconnect activated and yep it doesn't work.
They've tried to reinstall it but still no good. Appconnect is activated it just wont show any devices , they have tried it on engineers phones as well iPhone and android and nothing.
If they can't get any joy from VW they are going to refund me but has anyone hot any ideas on this

Thanks

From what I have heard there is a vin range (somewhere around 2017 I think) that cannot activate app connect
Some vehicles need the usb socket replaced with an app connect compatible unit but this seems to vary

Hmmm......

Well I know I have to use the usb socket on the dash and make sure you have a USB cable that has all 4pins connected. (Some cables just have the power pins)

So try different usb cables...

Then try reconnecting, following this.....

App Connect | Car Net | Volkswagen UK

With me its ANDROID AUTO, I have to connect the usb cable and do APP CONNECT.

Theres also an online account, when the radio has a WIFI connection (via wifi hotspot or other) to VW connect..

Worth checking the USB port type - there’s a post on here somewhere with all the details in. You need a green back not a black back....or something like that :)

As @Dellmassive says, it's important that the USB data wires are connected as well as the power. When I fitted my Carplay unit I ordered 2 of the compatible green sockets, fitted one and did a "Big Clive" on the other - there is nothing special about them, no chip, no resistor, nothing. All that they have are straight through terminals for all 4 USB wires. I'm going to take a wild guess (though I haven't dismantled one) that the only difference with the black ones is that they're power (red snd black) only.

I dismantled a green one and compared it to a couple other (non green ones) and the greens seems to have a IC (chip) that the others don’t

I’m sure I have read somewhere it’s some sort of apple compatibility chip but really not sure ??

I dismantled a green one and compared it to a couple other (non green ones) and the greens seems to have a IC (chip) that the others don’t

I’m sure I have read somewhere it’s some sort of apple compatibility chip but really not sure ??
The one I dismantled contained nothing. I even made a straight through lead that went into an iphone Lightning port by splicing in the wires and bypassing the socket altogether and Carplay worked exactly the same.

Edit: Are we talking about the same one?
83B16205-DFEC-417A-81C7-CB54B3DDA7A7.JPG

Last edited:
Hi just had my van back from my local VW centre after having appconnect activated and yep it doesn't work.
They've tried to reinstall it but still no good. Appconnect is activated it just wont show any devices , they have tried it on engineers phones as well iPhone and android and nothing.
If they can't get any joy from VW they are going to refund me but has anyone hot any ideas on this

Thanks
I’ve got App connect, ordered it with the van. Never used it, it’s a PITA Imo. Don’t waste your money. There’re only certain apps that work with it, overrated gimmick. All my humble opinion of course.

I like it but I think if I had my time again I'd save my money - it's essentially android auto on a slightly bigger screen than your phone

I love having Carplay, much easier to get to everything, or use Siri to do it, and all with the phone hidden away and no more phone holders on the dash.

D4EC0654-CB2F-4F1E-B2A3-1FBF10B90B64.jpeg I had mine done last week and the guys were pretty knowledgeable.
They checked two things before installing
1. They went to settings and checked that it was there and that if you tried to turn it on it said something like ‘you need to get this installed before use’
2 They Popped the usb out to check it was green and looked like the pic attached.

They then installed and it works perfectly.

Is your usb the same?

View attachment 45298 I had mine done last week and the guys were pretty knowledgeable.
They checked two things before installing
1. They went to settings and checked that it was there and that if you tried to turn it on it said something like ‘you need to get this installed before use’
2 They Popped the usb out to check it was green and looked like the pic attached.

They then installed and it works perfectly.

Is your usb the same?
Hi thanks for all the info will pop it off and have a look. Are these only available from VW?

8974E81D-FCB7-4985-852E-524F6AE6BA57.jpeg
I will need this to get an android device working as well I guess . Got to work out how to get the socket out mine is in the dash itself I dont have glovebox
Yup mine is in the dash as well (not the glovebox). I didn’t see him get it out so can’t help you on that but I think it just pulls out somehow.

This is like mine

if I had my time again I'd save my money - it's essentially android auto on a slightly bigger screen than your phone

Isn't that the point! I use Android Auto all the time; Google Navigation (also have VW sat nav but much prefer Google Maps navigation and live traffic data and ability to plan routes from your PC/laptop and transfer to phone), Podcast app, internet radio apps, BBC sounds, etc.

It extends your smartphone (and shared Android or iOS ecosphere) into the cab and onto a larger screen with touch control. I had it on my Seat Superb so it was a definite no brainer to have it as a must have feature on the van when factory ordered.

No regrets here, gets more app support as time goes on and gives you voice control if you have not got it as a VW extra. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back