Just ordered T6 T28 204 DSG Highline in Starlight Blue

Weight. I've ordered a T28 and did have the dilemma of whether or not this shall give me enough payload. I didn't want to pay the extra for a T30 however as I'm going to upgrade the suspension anyway and I believe this is where the additional cost goes so would be a waste of money.

Assuming a 2t mass in service weight this steel leaves 800kg of load. That's 10 average sized geezers. Allow 5 passengers including driver, then I've got another 3 geezers worth of payload for the rear seat, bikes and other stuff.
Lots of people, including at least one large scale convertor I know, use T28s as the base vehicle so you will not be alone. We went for a T30 to give us a bit of extra allowance for bikes, trailer, extra crates of beer, etc., but were surprised how close we were to the weight limit, hence wishing we had gone for a T32. Don't underestimate the weight in the conversion, e.g. crash tested seat/beds, pop tops (not sure if you are adding?),furniture , provisions, water, etc.. though.

I'm fairly sure a Cali uses a T32 type chassis.
I do see too many conversions based on light duty chassis, with 85 or 102 engines and standard brakes and wimper slightly.

Something needs to compensate for all that weight, much of which is quite high up.

I'm fairly sure a Cali uses a T32 type chassis.
I do see too many conversions based on light duty chassis, with 85 or 102 engines and standard brakes and wimper slightly.

Something needs to compensate for all that weight, much of which is quite high up.
...and over the back axle.

I'm not getting a pop top or full conversion but am going to be on the limit no doubt with family and all my gear with a T28.

What you also need to consider is residuals.. How many people will want a t28 compared to a t30, but at least you are thinking about it.. Just be aware your ins will probably like an over weight ticket less that an over the speed limit one..

I've a t32 lwb.. Bigger brakes, more room etc.... No hassles in the end you pay your money and makes your choice....

It comes with the bigger brakes on the 204 anyway. I'll just have to keep an eye in the weight.

Back