Just Had My Renewal Quote Through....

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
..from Brentacre.

A 25% increase on last year's premium. Had to claim for a cracked windscreen but....

That's a hell of an increase. Anyone else seeing similar uplifts?
Wondering whether that's where insurance is at the moment or whether I should be shopping around?
Renewal premium is £490.

Always worth shopping around as common practice to up the renewal in the hope people don't bother looking.

Interestingly, I pay 480 a year with brentacre without any claims. Always thought they were very competitive.. might need a shop around myself.

Have a search on here and there are quite a few posts about insurance and who to try, you need to be picky if you have mods.

I thought they were too high when I asked for a quote, stayed with Adrian Flux
My son insured his T5 with Adrian Flux he’s just sold it now they want about £150 to cancel the policy now found loads of other people complaining about high cancellation charges from them.

My son insured his T5 with Adrian Flux he’s just sold it now they want about £150 to cancel the policy now found loads of other people complaining about high cancellation charges from them.
That sounds a hell of a lot.
Is he replacing it? If so is it not cheaper to stay with them and just change the vehicle? Then swap provider when renewal is up.

I've just had an inflated renewal from Brentacre. Tried to negotiate it down a bit,rather than phoning around, but the guy didn't seem interested and he went quite frosty after i pushed him on what they actually do for the £45 admin fee.
Went back with Adrian Flux in the end.

I tried both Adrian Flux and Brentacre and they were both dearer for me on a modified shuttle.. I've stayed with Admiral. FYI it was about 75 difference so not massive.

Just insured with Herts Insurance (Just Kampers),cheapest by far for me.
Mods declared,kombi conversion and any ongoing mods free of charge,excluding engine.

I've just had an inflated renewal from Brentacre. Tried to negotiate it down a bit,rather than phoning around, but the guy didn't seem interested and he went quite frosty after i pushed him on what they actually do for the £45 admin fee.
Went back with Adrian Flux in the end.

Yes the £45 'administrative' charge is laughably ridiculous.

That sounds a hell of a lot.
Is he replacing it? If so is it not cheaper to stay with them and just change the vehicle? Then swap provider when renewal is up.
He bought himself a car which he insured elsewhere and kept the T5 insured until he sold it, paid 2 months insurance at £85 a month then was expecting a £40/50 cancellation charge, like i said before if you google Flux cancellation charges there’s a lot of people who’ve been £200+

He bought himself a car which he insured elsewhere and kept the T5 insured until he sold it, paid 2 months insurance at £85 a month then was expecting a £40/50 cancellation charge, like i said before if you google Flux cancellation charges there’s a lot of people who’ve been £200+
If you are paying monthly how can they charge you a cancellation fee? Can’t you just stop the DD?

If you are paying monthly how can they charge you a cancellation fee? Can’t you just stop the DD?
Apparently not, it’s in the small print/10 minute long message they read to you(where you switch off after 30 seconds)
I think it’s to do with the pay monthly where the broker actually sets up a finance agreement so if he doesn’t pay it it will go against credit ratings.
I’ve seen a few where parents have insured kids as learners for £600 then when they pass the insurance went up to £1600 they cancel and got charged £208, one was after 2 weeks.

..from Brentacre.

A 25% increase on last year's premium. Had to claim for a cracked windscreen but....

That's a hell of an increase. Anyone else seeing similar uplifts?
Wondering whether that's where insurance is at the moment or whether I should be shopping around?
Renewal premium is £490.
The last couple of years i’ve found Directline the cheapest, I don’t think they come up on the comparison sites so you need to go direct to their website for quotes.

As above, Just Kampers (Herts insurance) was best quote I found. They do a policy that allows you a year to carry out modifications and conversion to a camper. Plus you get a discount on JK website on parts.

Brentacre generously offered to renew my van for c£945, down from c£1100...went with Adrian Flux for under £500 business and pleasure.

The last couple of years i’ve found Directline the cheapest, I don’t think they come up on the comparison sites so you need to go direct to their website for quotes.

Same for me. Was paying DirectLine only £390 for the 116CDi Vito Sport and they asked me for another £44.80 for the new T6 for the last 4 months of the policy. I nearly fell off my seat. Other than an engine re-map, there's nothing I haven't added / upgraded. I was amazed to hear them say, "we're only interested in modifications we classify as performance enhancing". To them, that was the suspension coils and the body kit (I'd always thought the body kit was cosmetic really - but not to Underwriters apparently). All the additional expense of, lining, leather, wheels, caliper paint, custom racking, sound deadening etc etc was of no interest to the Underwriters, other than what the total cost of the vehicle was in the end. If I was insuring a car of this value it would be 3x this premium. Pretty big plus for vans really

Last edited:
Why is shopping for insurance such a soul-destroying activity?
Just spent almost 40 minutes on the phone with HIC only to be told they need to call me back after speaking to an insurer directly......grrrrr
And since I had to remind them to take my phone number at the end of the call I am not confident that I will hear anything tomorrow.

Back