Just Bought A T6 Panelvan - Selfbuilding A Camper - Making Videos To Help Those That Are Interested.

Sorry, its a long video, and it may not be the "official" or "correct" way to fit a leisure battery and CTEK DC-DC charger system to handle the euro6 smart alternator charging on the VW T6. That said, this is how we did it!! I hope its useful for those of you that are converting a van to a camper etc...

I’d say an 80a fuse for the CTEK is too high. It’s only capable of charging 20a so a 40a fuse will be more than enough. Also fuse 5 in the right hand side is live till the key is removed meaning your batteries will potentially remain connected after the engine has been turned off, it would be better to use any fuse in the middle row which are only live whilst the ignition is on

@Deaky ... Now he tells me!! Well, I'm not pulling it all apart again!! :) ... Yes, I can down-rate the fuses, I agree, 30 or 40A should be more than enough... I think the ignition shuts down after 5 mins of inactivity even with the keys in, but I will check...

I now have a mental note... don't leave the keys in the ignition, it will discharge the main battery, and offers criminals the possibility of stealing your wagon !! :) --> Genuinely, thanks for the feedback, very good points to note!!

EDIT - Just checked... and yes, you are right, the charge system stays on when the key is in... :-(

Last edited:
@Deaky ... Now he tells me!! Well, I'm not pulling it all apart again!! :) ... Yes, I can down-rate the fuses, I agree, 30 or 40A should be more than enough... I think the ignition shuts down after 5 mins of inactivity even with the keys in, but I will check...

I now have a mental note... don't leave the keys in the ignition, it will discharge the main battery, and offers criminals the possibility of stealing your wagon !! :) --> Genuinely, thanks for the feedback, very good points to note!!

EDIT - Just checked... and yes, you are right, the charge system stays on when the key is in... :-(
Just move your piggyback fuse 1 column to the left

Another part in the series... Just a quick 3 min video on fitting these Heko wind and rain guards ... they make a massive difference to the functionality of the van in my opinion... you can crack the window and enjoy a little fresh air while driving, or stationary to stop moisture build up while sleeping, and also run an electric hookup through the window too! ... I spent £28 of my hard earned cash... well worth it in my humble opinion! Video below...

Back