Just about to Buy...

Looks a very nice van which I must admit I would be tempted to buy If I was in the market and they had one when I was looking. Whay is the Warntee on it

Hi all. I'm interested in this debate as I've just purchased a T28 H-LN TDI BMT 102ps 5speed that's just had a Pendle remap to 160. The conversion consisted of insulation/sound proof, Windows (panel and tailgate) lights and all that and a full width Caledonian bed. My concern is about the re-map. Am I going to experience issues? Your help and thoughts would be appreciated

Don't take this the wrong way, but this does not seem to ring right. A 5 speed manual box is normal with an 84ps output, however I have never heard of a "remap" that increases power output by 50%, and I have had quite a few over the years on a number of vehicles.

Even pendle (one of the better tuning houses for remaps) can only give around the 15% increase ballpark. Which would take the 84ps to just shy of 100ps.

To achieve 160ps I'd expect it to have started out as a 140ps, unless what's been done is more than a remap.

Not saying you are wrong, but I would personally double check what they are telling you, and seek confirmation as to how they have achieved it. Be really interested in hearing what they have done to achieve that figure.

Is it not closer to a 100% increase or am I being thick?!

Is it not closer to a 100% increase or am I being thick?!
Sorry @PukkaT6 if I didn't make clear that my figure of 50% increase was based on the remap of @barry moodie's van from 102ps to 160ps. Apologies if there was confusion with the post that you quoted :confused:. Agreed though that you are correct as there was a potential increase of 100% from 82ps to 160ps if that was the one that you were referring to :thumbsup:. However @DaveyB did say that he had never heard of a remap of 50% and later suggested that there might have been more than a remap.

Last edited:
Sorry @PukkaT6 if I didn't make clear that my figure of 50% increase was based on the remap of @barry moodie's van from 102ps to 160ps. Apologies if there was confusion with the post that you quoted :confused:. Agreed though that you are correct as there was a potential increase of 100% from 82ps to 160ps if that was the one that you were referring to :thumbsup:.

No need to apologise mate, was referring to someone elses comment of it being an 82ps ;)

No need to apologise mate, was referring to someone elses comment of it being an 82ps ;)
@PukkaT6 Sorry I updated my post just as you posted in order to clarify (or try to) the confusion with all of these figures flying about on this thread because there was confusion as to what engine had been fitted to the vehicle in question.

VW will only warranty up to a max of 18", which is the biggest they supply. It's about the added stress and strain that VW say is placed upon the drivetrain by having bigger wheels.
Equally they would need to prove that whatever issue you need to have fixed has been directly caused by the bigger wheels if they are refusing the warranty. So if you had a paint issue, they'd not be able to refuse the warranty work based upon bigger wheels.
That's useful about warranty as that's my understanding. As for big wheels I have said this before and will say it again, don't do it! My T5 had 20s and every two years I had to have various new suspension parts costing me several hundred pounds a time. I had reduced turning circle on wheels, less fuel efficiency and harsher ride! Mine was 30mm lowered too though. I swapped back to 16 steelies after 5 years. Also tyre expense! They had camber (slight) and I tried expensive tyres (£2,000 for four) and budget (£800) and they all wore down fast! If this doesn't bother you and you can afford it then go ahead, but there is a reason VW only go to 18's and this is after years of engineering and evolving.

That's useful about warranty as that's my understanding. As for big wheels I have said this before and will say it again, don't do it! My T5 had 20s and every two years I had to have various new suspension parts costing me several hundred pounds a time. I had reduced turning circle on wheels, less fuel efficiency and harsher ride! Mine was 30mm lowered too though. I swapped back to 16 steelies after 5 years. Also tyre expense! They had camber (slight) and I tried expensive tyres (£2,000 for four) and budget (£800) and they all wore down fast! If this doesn't bother you and you can afford it then go ahead, but there is a reason VW only go to 18's and this is after years of engineering and evolving.

Why do most converters put them on then? My converter doesn't put them on as standard, but because I'd seen them as standard at the others I went to see, I've asked for them (they do look nice)...my van has 16" alloys...would I be better sticking with them?

I'd say very few converters stick big wheels on and the ones that do (over 18") are irresponsible.

I had the pleasure of witnessing a total ar5e hat driving a black T6 Highline Kombi last night (I think he was trying to race our Cali!) on the A30; tailgating everyone in his super powered 140 van, weaving, etc. And guess what? Yep he had daft alloys on his T6.

So not only are they daft from a driving and engineering point of view, they also shout "yob with a few bob" to me and many others.

Stick to load rated van wheels no bigger than 18".

Last edited:
Why do most converters put them on then? My converter doesn't put them on as standard, but because I'd seen them as standard at the others I went to see, I've asked for them (they do look nice)...my van has 16" alloys...would I be better sticking with them?
I'm not sure they do. They build vans and put 20" wheels on for looks and it is offered for sale to punters but if you go along to get a van converted I don't think they will be on the van unless you specify them. My Cali came with 16" alloys on it I had the dealer change them for 18" VW Sportline ones. From a personal point I would only go 18" as that is as big as VW offer but I admit 20" look good but until they offer that size I'll stick with what I have. At the end of the day it's a van not a sports car so what ever you do is for looks

If you look in the online Transporter brochure @Victoria Alletson, VW do some nice looking 17" and 18" alloys as an alternative to the Devonports that are standard on both the 204ps and T32. I quite like the 17" Devonports and they are frequently advertised on the Forum for around £600 including tyres by members that have fitted Sportlines etc.

Back