Just about to Buy...

July 2016 Brochure shows also 102ps has 5 spd box in the T26 PV.
Even based on that, a 15% increase doesn't come to 160ps, more like 117-120ps, so something just doesn't seem right. I'd never even have thought twice about it if it were not for the mention of it having the 5 speed box, as 160 is perfectly achievable if you start out with a 140.

Yep...mines a 102 and it's 5 speed.

What's the issue with the wheels? Why would they void the warranty? Im planning on having 20" wheels.

Yep...mines a 102 and it's 5 speed.

What's the issue with the wheels? Why would they void the warranty? Im planning on having 20" wheels.
VW will only warranty up to a max of 18", which is the biggest they supply. It's about the added stress and strain that VW say is placed upon the drivetrain by having bigger wheels.
Equally they would need to prove that whatever issue you need to have fixed has been directly caused by the bigger wheels if they are refusing the warranty. So if you had a paint issue, they'd not be able to refuse the warranty work based upon bigger wheels.

VW will only warranty up to a max of 18", which is the biggest they supply. It's about the added stress and strain that VW say is placed upon the drivetrain by having bigger wheels.
Equally they would need to prove that whatever issue you need to have fixed has been directly caused by the bigger wheels if they are refusing the warranty. So if you had a paint issue, they'd not be able to refuse the warranty work based upon bigger wheels.

Ta

@DaveyB - I reckon it's a 102; they are 5 speeds too.

Agree. Pendle Tuning take the 102 to 160 with their Stage 1 Map. (Leighton are Pendle Agents).

I read that they 'could' go higher power and torque output but they reckon this is about the reliable max for the 5 speed.

The 102 and 140 engines are essentially the same, if you start with the 140 they go another 15 bhp to 175, seems largely due to the different gearbox not the motor itself.

Caveat: this is what I learned looking at remapping my 140, IMHO Pendle is the only place that I'd get mine done.

Just to point out you can't get pure grey in Highline spec so people do buy the start line/ trendline and then spec it up to Highline spec by adding cruise, a/c etc..... don't see anything wrong with that if you like the colour.... its actually a rather expensive way to arrive at a Highline spec so in some ways is a plus!

Hi, so I've spoken to the dealer this morning.

He has reassured me that if there was any issue regarding the warranty they would honour it and sort out the problem. He made the valid point that they trade on their reputation and they sell a lot of vans and from my research I cannot find too many unhappy customers, , most of them are very, very pleased with the service and the vehicle.

The remap still worries me a little bit as they have taken it from 84 to 160 and it is 5 speed box. . They told me that all the engines of the same 2.0l engine and is just a map that VW changed to increase the power. Again they seem to do this all the time and don't have any repercussions....

Will think about it all today and make a decision. , I have found a T30 SWB Diesel 2.0 TDI BMT 150 Startline Van in Pure Grey :) so might buy this and have it converted. can anyone recommend a good converter in Yorkshire. Leighton van say they will do it their but their price seems a little expensive.

Thanks

Not sure if the new box (T5.1) is the same as the T6 one but that had quite a reputation for failure even as standard.

That T30 sounds 5453457864 times more appealing.

The t26 will be perfectly adequate for your needs unless you want to claim the vat back through a company or convert to a full time camper

. They told me that all the engines of the same 2.0l engine and is just a map that VW changed to increase the power. Again they seem to do this all the time and don't have any repercussions....

It's true they share the same basic layout but their are some major differences like turbos etc but also some minor ones, when you delve a bit deeper you find the bigger engines have additional oil pathways and coolant slots machined into them. It might be minor but they haven't done it for nothing .

But then again the only complaints from remaps that you hear about is when it's done badly and destroys that 5 speed !!!

Hi, so I've spoken to the dealer this morning.

He has reassured me that if there was any issue regarding the warranty they would honour it and sort out the problem. He made the valid point that they trade on their reputation and they sell a lot of vans and from my research I cannot find too many unhappy customers, , most of them are very, very pleased with the service and the vehicle.

The remap still worries me a little bit as they have taken it from 84 to 160 and it is 5 speed box. . They told me that all the engines of the same 2.0l engine and is just a map that VW changed to increase the power. Again they seem to do this all the time and don't have any repercussions....

Will think about it all today and make a decision. , I have found a T30 SWB Diesel 2.0 TDI BMT 150 Startline Van in Pure Grey :) so might buy this and have it converted. can anyone recommend a good converter in Yorkshire. Leighton van say they will do it their but their price seems a little expensive.

Thanks
Remember @andy90000 that the salesman's only interest is to get the van sold of the forecourt, your interest is to purchase a van that will meet your needs, be reliable and not need any warranty claims or difficulties. If you have any qualms or the faintest doubt then walk away as regrets linger on.

The T30 sounds a better proposition and there are some excellent converters out there, but do have a close look at their work and premises when you go and discuss your spec with them.

Go for the T30 I think the remapped one has been taken a little too far. The T30 will also have a 6 speed box and more likely to take a remap to 180 if you need it

If in doubt, chuck it out.. I'd go for the higher weight capable t30.. It's all well and good having a remap, but it also adds to your insurance as well as potential issues with the drivetrain down the road.. It's not a sports car Anyways.. Spend your cash on a good base vehicle,mand then adapt it to suit you and your tastes, not someone else's ideas of what looks nice..

Thanks guys, I have come to same conclusion. I also spoke to VW and they said if I had an engine remap and then an issue with the engine the warranty would be void....

I like what Leighton's do so will see if they will be the conversion for me, unless I have pissed them off with all my questions lol :)

Agree with the point relating to turbo's and oil lines etc etc, I equally recall reading somewhere about injectors being different as well.

Personally I would give that particular vehicle a wide berth. Don't doubt at all the Leighton have done a cracking job, but the 5 speed box is a weak point and there is a reason why VW only put it on the 84 and 102 derivatives.

T6 - 1.PNG T6 -3.PNG T6 - 8.PNG T6 - 6.PNG T6 - 1.PNG T6 -3.PNG T6 - 8.PNG T6 - 6.PNG Have now put a deposit on 150 T30 :)

I really like what they do at Leightons so would want someone who could make it look very similar. looking for:-

front spoiler, rear spoiler , 20" alloys, leather upholstery rear seats as single units , single front passenger seat with armrests, sport line roof rails, SportsLine sidebars, , front fog likes, bumper grilles in gloss black, H&R 40mm lowered springs, piano black batch grill, carbon effect rear bumper protector. flooring, soundproofing/ installation , suede suede effect, privacy glass to rear side windows ( opening on both sides ). , front parking sensors and rear parking camera. internal LED lighting, electric side door, all bumpers and handles colour-coded, and possibly my leisure battery and some three pin plugs.

my not be able to do all this at once but would want to wiring accenture all in place so I could add to once I had the budget. The pictures of what I would like the external of the van to look like and other bit.

Nice one Andy; is that the actual van or the one you looked at?

I have to say that selling a new van that won't be covered by a factory warranty (wheels and remap) and has been mapped to double the power with a 'box known for being weak is pretty irresponsible. That would put me right off Leighton Vans.

Check out some reputable guys and get it done properly.

A number of outfits are doing these new, heavily modded vans to cater to "the scene." I don't trust them.

But that's just an opinion, albeit a moderately well informed one.

Back