Just about to Buy...

andy90000

Hi Guys,

Just joined the site and already finding it very useful.

I am literally just about to buy a T6, looking to sign the paperwork in the next couple of days :) , it would be really helpful to get your opinions on the cost. The price of T6 & T5 seems to vary enormously and can't make head nor tail of it.

I am looking at a brand-new converted VW T6 T26. I believe it started life as a panel van and has been professionally converted to a Kombi. Spec as follows:-

Pure Grey, A/C, Cruise Glazed, Rear Door With Rear Wiper Rear parking Sensors Leather Seats Carpet &
Suede Lined Sound Insulated LED Interior Lighting, New bodywork, Black Full leather interior - New Condition, Tyre condition New, Short wheel-base, ABS, Air conditioning, Cruise control, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Immobiliser, PAS,Radio\/CD, Rear parking aid, Side loading door, Drivers & passenger airbag, SWB, Remote central locking, Sportline pack, Sportline Roof Bars, Sportline Side Bars, Leather Seats, 20 Inch Wheel & Tyre Package, Carbon Bumper Protector, Lowering Springs, Front Fog Lamps, Carpet & Suede Lined, Sound Insulated, LED Interior Lighting. 5 seats, Alarm, Traction control, Solid Pure Grey.

My wife Would like a single front seat as she finds it more comfortable, , which of course is a chargeable upgrade !

Total cost £27795 plus VAT..... . Of course I started of looking at older, lower spec models , but fell in love with this one. intend to keep quite a few years may be do a few upgrades and then trade in for the one I really want :)

Last edited:
Not planning to convert, It has an ECU remap so now 160ps :)
So it was a 102 I assume?

I'm slightly nervous for you; it's a fairly heavily modded van that will appeal to a much smaller market when you want to change it.
Don't buy for resale value of course but with 20s, a fairly drastic remap, non OEM Sportline additions and more, I'd approach with caution.

Given it has AC, cruise and foglights it should be a highline model so will be fairly well specced, overall that price seems pretty good taking into account it has wheels/tyres/leather interior etc etc
As mentioned above i would double check exactly what model it is and what engine it started with, if it left the factory with 140/150PS then it will be 6 speed but if it was the lower output 102 engine then it will only be a 5 speed gearbox

Thanks will speak to Leighton's about remap. To be honest would be keeping for 5 to 7 years so not too concerned about resell. More about the effect the remap has on VW warranty not that I think about it.

Only has 5 speed box... concerned it might have started as 84 bhp and they have doubled the bhp...

Thanks Guys... will get on the phone tomorrow and ask some more questions..... as I know its not a Highline as the guys said the AC and cruise were not standard for model.

Leighton's start with a startline and add the extras. Means they can get the full colour range etc.

I'd buy from them hands down if it's the right spec for you.

@andy90000 you believe it to have been T26 originally but the conversion has added weight. Q1 - what is its plated weight according to V5? Q2 - what is its kerb weight? Subtract Q2 from Q1 gives the loading margin for family, luggage water, food, awning etc etc. Remember that two adults weigh between 150 to 200 kgs, water is a kilo per litre. Take care that you have sufficient weight margin. The July 2016 Brochure load margin for a standard T26 PV is 718kgs.

Last edited:
So how do people convert to campers?

Also how does VW get more power out of 2.0l engine if they are all the same size?

Really confused now lol!

Thanks will speak to Leighton's about remap. To be honest would be keeping for 5 to 7 years so not too concerned about resell. More about the effect the remap has on VW warranty not that I think about it.

Only has 5 speed box... concerned it might have started as 84 bhp and they have doubled the bhp...
Don't take this the wrong way, but this does not seem to ring right. A 5 speed manual box is normal with an 84ps output, however I have never heard of a "remap" that increases power output by 50%, and I have had quite a few over the years on a number of vehicles.

Even pendle (one of the better tuning houses for remaps) can only give around the 15% increase ballpark. Which would take the 84ps to just shy of 100ps.

To achieve 160ps I'd expect it to have started out as a 140ps, unless what's been done is more than a remap.

Not saying you are wrong, but I would personally double check what they are telling you, and seek confirmation as to how they have achieved it. Be really interested in hearing what they have done to achieve that figure.

That also worried me...!

Apologies @andy90000 - I'm probably being over cautious but a few things just concern me slightly.

No that's great it is better I ask these questions now as I am really looking at spending way over my budget and wouldn't want to be disappointed.

I just want it to be as hassle free as possible, that was the attraction of going for a new van professionally converted,

Andy; this is an opinion not fact but I'd buy a decent base van; at least a T30 but probably a T32 (they have a heavier duty chassis); I'd also get at least a 150 (204 is probably overkill) because you then get a six speed box. There is DSG (semi auto) but it's expensive and not to all tastes; mine included.

I'd speak to some of the really good converters (there are plenty listed on here) and see what they can offer. Or check their stock lists.
I'd spend the bulk of your hard earned on the van itself and conversion, then add big wheels, etc later if you have funds left. I'd also avoid a remap; it'll void the warranty and places excess strain on the drivetrain.

I'd also try for a van that can be (or has been) registered as a camper. Cheaper insurance, higher speed limits.

The 85, 102 and 150 engines are very similar but they have been tuned by VW, not a remapper.

Others will say go for it but it's a big chunk of cash to spend so be cautious.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this does not seem to ring right. A 5 speed manual box is normal with an 84ps output, however I have never heard of a "remap" that increases power output by 50%, and I have had quite a few over the years on a number of vehicles.

Even pendle (one of the better tuning houses for remaps) can only give around the 15% increase ballpark. Which would take the 84ps to just shy of 100ps.

To achieve 160ps I'd expect it to have started out as a 140ps, unless what's been done is more than a remap.

Not saying you are wrong, but I would personally double check what they are telling you, and seek confirmation as to how they have achieved it. Be really interested in hearing what they have done to achieve that figure.
July 2016 Brochure shows also 102ps has 5 spd box in the T26 PV.

I am often wrong :) will double check tomorrow and report back... all good comments. Thanks you

Back