Jump Start Another Vehicle

Hinsley

T6 Pro
I'm was in the office today, popped out for lunch and a lady flagged me down saying she couldn't start her car.

I offer to "help" (she had jump leads) but haven't done this for 25 years so I tried Google. I saw some info on disconnecting my negative but I didn't have any tools. I tried the bog standard way but couldn't find a good/obvious ground point in the engine bay (I could see what I was looking for in the fault cars engine bay?

Also, my manual is in the house so couldn't refer to that. Can anyone give a quick idiots guide to the jump method using a T6 to start another car.

I feel I should know this and have lost a few Man Points today.

Dont feel too bad . . . . VW should install a Earth point just for this reason... where are you supposed to jump from when you cant find an earth?

Battery Charging - Main Battery Earth Point -

if its just a quick jump-start to help someone out . . . . I've just gone direct across the van battery.

but if its treying to start a dead motor with issues . . . using multiple jumps id use a chassis earth..

the chassis earth thing is so that you dont bi-pass the power monitor on the van battery . . . . so the van knows the state of charge of your battery.

heres what the AA say:

Ten steps to jump start a car
  1. Before starting, make sure any electrical systems or devices in the vehicle with the dead battery are switched off (Lights, radio/CD, sat-nav etc).
  2. Park the second vehicle as close to the casualty vehicle as possible, without the vehicles touching, ensuring the jump leads will comfortably reach from one battery to the other.
  3. Ensure both vehicles engines are switched off, remove the ignition keys and open their bonnets (or boot if the battery’s located there).
  4. Attach one end of the red jump lead to the positive terminal on the flat battery. The positive terminal will usually have a red plastic cover with a plus (+) symbol on it. Pull the cover back to access the terminal.
  5. Then attach the other end of the red jump lead to the positive terminal of the good battery on the second vehicle.
  6. Attach one end of the black jump lead to the negative terminal of the good battery.
  7. Then attach the other end of the black jump lead to a good earth point on the casualty vehicle – a solid metal part of the engine is usually best.
  8. Start the engine of the second vehicle.
  9. Now attempt to start the casualty vehicle. If it doesn’t start after a few attempts, it might be more serious than a flat battery. In this event, seek professional help by calling the RAC on 0330 159 1111.
  10. If it does start, leave both vehicles running for five minutes.

a quick vid from Eric

Appart from that go out and get a small lithium jump-pack.

Which Jump Starter?

I’ve used the AA method above with my T6 a couple of times, both times it resulted in smoking jump leads!
When I’ve used the same jump leads on my other car to start cars it hasn’t been an issue.
Any ideas on why the T6 should cause very hot leads and not my other car?

Do you mean jump start your T6, or jump start another car from your T6 ?

If depends what sort of engine you are jump starting. A bigger diesel engine (like in a T6) will draw a lot more current than a small petrol engined car, which could result in jump leads warming up if they are quite thin.

Pete

Do you mean jump start your T6, or jump start another car from your T6 ?

If depends what sort of engine you are jump starting. A bigger diesel engine (like in a T6) will draw a lot more current than a small petrol engined car, which could result in jump leads warming up if they are quite thin.

Pete
My T6 to start another vehicle.
Yes I considered that, one was a Ford Ranger so a fairly big battery but the other was a small petrol car with a low capacity battery.

Dont feel too bad . . . . VW should install a Earth point just for this reason... where are you supposed to jump from when you cant find an earth?

Battery Charging - Main Battery Earth Point -

if its just a quick jump-start to help someone out . . . . I've just gone direct across the van battery.

but if its treying to start a dead motor with issues . . . using multiple jumps id use a chassis earth..

the chassis earth thing is so that you dont bi-pass the power monitor on the van battery . . . . so the van knows the state of charge of your battery.

heres what the AA say:

Ten steps to jump start a car
  1. Before starting, make sure any electrical systems or devices in the vehicle with the dead battery are switched off (Lights, radio/CD, sat-nav etc).
  2. Park the second vehicle as close to the casualty vehicle as possible, without the vehicles touching, ensuring the jump leads will comfortably reach from one battery to the other.
  3. Ensure both vehicles engines are switched off, remove the ignition keys and open their bonnets (or boot if the battery’s located there).
  4. Attach one end of the red jump lead to the positive terminal on the flat battery. The positive terminal will usually have a red plastic cover with a plus (+) symbol on it. Pull the cover back to access the terminal.
  5. Then attach the other end of the red jump lead to the positive terminal of the good battery on the second vehicle.
  6. Attach one end of the black jump lead to the negative terminal of the good battery.
  7. Then attach the other end of the black jump lead to a good earth point on the casualty vehicle – a solid metal part of the engine is usually best.
  8. Start the engine of the second vehicle.
  9. Now attempt to start the casualty vehicle. If it doesn’t start after a few attempts, it might be more serious than a flat battery. In this event, seek professional help by calling the RAC on 0330 159 1111.
  10. If it does start, leave both vehicles running for five minutes.

a quick vid from Eric

Appart from that go out and get a small lithium jump-pack.

Which Jump Starter?

Only just seen this sound advice, though I had to chuckle at the AA advising if you need professional help call the RAC! (Apologies, no-one likes a smartarse... )

Back