Judd 20" T311rs On Lowered T32

rcfb25

VIP Member
I had a set of 20" Judd T311Rs on before Winter, front 9.5J ET45 with 235/40s and 10.5J ET45 with 255/35 on the back, both stretched, with no edge protection for the rims.
Wife had the van for a week and kerbed all four.
In for refurb now but wondering what's the widest tyres I could use to protect the wheels, keeping rolling radius as close as possible to original, whilst not fouling anywhere.
Lowered on VanSlams.

T6.jpg

Last edited:
I had a set of 20" Judd T311Rs on before Winter, front 9.5J ET45 with 235/40s and 10.5J ET45 with 255/35 on the back, both stretched, with no edge protection for the rims.
In for refurb now but wondering what's the widest tyres I could use to protect the wheels, keeping rolling radius as close as possible to original, whilst not fouling anywhere.
Lowered on VanSlams.

View attachment 58988

You will struggle to get tyres that are wide enough to protect the actual rims, unless you go for oversized balloons which will ruin the look of the wheel.
What you might be better off doing is fitting the 'ideal' size tyres to the rims.

To explain: 235/40s on a 9.5" wheel are going to look nice and have a bit of stretch, but as you've found out, the expose the rim edges. Where as the 'ideal' size will be between 255 and even 265s. This will get the tyre sitting more level, then it's more a case of finding which brand of tyre had the best rim protection built into the tyre, because they vary vastly.

Same principal on the rears: 255s look nice, but again, expose the rims too much. 'Ideal' widths for a 10.5" is 275 but that will depend on the offset because some 275s can rub, so 265s are slightly more popular on a T6.

Get the tyre size correct, and pop into a local tyre shop to look who's tyres have the best rim protection.

Sorry there isn't an easy answer to your question.

Oh and I hate to point out the obvious, but if your wife kerbed all 4 wheels in a week, then regardless on what you do with your tyres and even with the best rim protection, the likelihood is she will kerb them again. The rim protection is only a reinforced edge to the tyre, but it is only rubber and will loose in a battle between the weight of a T6 and a kerb.

PS.

This will help you with tyre sizes Tyre Size for Rim Size/Width Calculator - What's the best tyre size for my rim? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have exactly the same wheels , I run 275/40 on B14.
No rubbing on rear, no rubbing lock to lock, I cannot go to low as it will rub on big bounce on front.
I will run 265/40 on front next.
Neither size protects the rims on those wheels.

Lowered on VanSlams.

View attachment 58988
Loving the look of your van. I'm currenlty stuck between Bilsteins or van slams. Can you let me know how your vanslams have treated you?

You will struggle to get tyres that are wide enough to protect the actual rims, unless you go for oversized balloons which will ruin the look of the wheel.
What you might be better off doing is fitting the 'ideal' size tyres to the rims.

To explain: 235/40s on a 9.5" wheel are going to look nice and have a bit of stretch, but as you've found out, the expose the rim edges. Where as the 'ideal' size will be between 255 and even 265s. This will get the tyre sitting more level, then it's more a case of finding which brand of tyre had the best rim protection built into the tyre, because they vary vastly.

Same principal on the rears: 255s look nice, but again, expose the rims too much. 'Ideal' widths for a 10.5" is 275 but that will depend on the offset because some 275s can rub, so 265s are slightly more popular on a T6.

Get the tyre size correct, and pop into a local tyre shop to look who's tyres have the best rim protection.

Sorry there isn't an easy answer to your question.

Oh and I hate to point out the obvious, but if your wife kerbed all 4 wheels in a week, then regardless on what you do with your tyres and even with the best rim protection, the likelihood is she will kerb them again. The rim protection is only a reinforced edge to the tyre, but it is only rubber and will loose in a battle between the weight of a T6 and a kerb.

PS.

This will help you with tyre sizes Tyre Size for Rim Size/Width Calculator - What's the best tyre size for my rim? :thumbsup:
The solution was simple.......no more driving!!

I have exactly the same wheels , I run 275/40 on B14.
No rubbing on rear, no rubbing lock to lock, I cannot go to low as it will rub on big bounce on front.
I will run 265/40 on front next.
Neither size protects the rims on those wheels.
Hi,
How low are you on b14s as they start at 40mm lower than standard.

Hi,
How low are you on b14s as they start at 40mm lower than standard.
I’m quite close to the bottom of adjustment.
Rear never hits anywhere, front it approx 20mm from top of tyre to bottom of van arch, any lower and it touches on big dips (265’s would sort this.)
I can still load my ZX10r race bike and all gear for a race with not touching.

Rear never hits anywhere, front it approx 20mm from top of tyre to bottom of van arch, any lower and it touches on big dips (265’s would sort this.)
Ok thanks for your reply,
Ok thanks for your reply, I only asked as I have just bought the same wheels but 9J all round as advised for a 4 motion.
I had the offset machined to 40.
I think judd have just discontinued a 9.5J and only make 9 and 10.5J in 20”.
Are your front tyres rubbing on the arch or arch liner inside?
Because you can have the ET reduced from the uk supplier.

I have often wondered if wheels are generally cast/forged with the minimum offset and then machined to suit.

I have often wondered if wheels are generally cast/forged with the minimum offset and then machined to suit.
Hi,
Most wheel manufacturers offer a range of offsets but Judd machine the wheels to your requirements. If you go on a website to buy Judd wheels, it shows offset numbers from roughly 20 to 48mm in 1mm increments.

They sure are in the case of Judds. I think they're cast with ET20 and you can take it from there. I'd assume this is the case with most wheels otherwise manufacturers would need a multitude of casts

Ok thanks for your reply,

Ok thanks for your reply, I only asked as I have just bought the same wheels but 9J all round as advised for a 4 motion.
I had the offset machined to 40.
I think judd have just discontinued a 9.5J and only make 9 and 10.5J in 20”.
Are your front tyres rubbing on the arch or arch liner inside?
Because you can have the ET reduced from the uk supplier.

9.5 still available

They sure are in the case of Judds. I think they're cast with ET20 and you can take it from there. I'd assume this is the case with most wheels otherwise manufacturers would need a multitude of casts

9.5 still available
Yes, what got me thinking was the regular "wrong offset" posts with wheels poking out. I did think that they could just be machined.

Yes, what got me thinking was the regular "wrong offset" posts with wheels poking out. I did think that they could just be machined.
I suspect whether they can or cant will depend on how're they're manufactured, specifically the thickness of the centre section and if there's enough to spare so you can shave it off. I suspect the tolerance will be within the original design and I wouldn't go shaving any old wheel!

Back