Jazz on BBC R3 11pm 13/11/2020 until 0600 14/11/20

@Kind of Blue do you have the BBC Sounds app?
You can not only listen to live radio, but download or listen again to passed programs.

View attachment 91920
View attachment 91921
Thank you for posting this up Ghost I do not have BBC sound app. I will need to look more closely at what is on because although I have my regulars I miss some gems.:cry::D Perhaps if this post goes on and you like Jazz you could be Chief Program Master.:cool:

@Kind of Blue Another source of decent quality audio performances are the BBC Proms which you can view on the BBC iplayer and will find in parts on Youtube.
A few years back they performed a Quincy Jones tribute using Jules Buckley and the Metropol Orchestra, they had Jacob Collier on piano and Corey Henry on an Hammond organ, the Hammond sounded really dirty, swirling and growling like it was angry.
I'll try to find some links as I find watching even recorded live performances can be still more involving than just sat in front of a pair of speakers, cheers!

To the unbelievers, I post this up because these days Jazz has become a very limited appeal in this modern world of disposable throw away music. Easy come easy go. A majority, usually listen to this on poor quality machines and so little effort is made by the supplier to improve quality. In any case music is a matter of choice. For many other forms of music, there is plenty of coverage. Many forms of modern music original roots in Jazz and Jazz has had much influence on music in general. The other thing about jazz is that most players are very technically gifted and have practised their music to a high level over many years, very much like classical musicians. Some classical players move over to jazz or tinker with it as do some progressive rock players. Jazz bands, Big Swing Bands, small Quartets and Triplets are not artificially made up by business people wanting to make a fast buck from the musically illiterate and just brought together just because they may please some visual sexual sense.

For those not liking this form of music but may perhaps have some other form of music that is not particularly well covered. Then why not start a thread about that. Perhaps it is blues, soul, progressive rock, opera, classical, Lieder, church music and so on, what ever. Perhaps there are some poets about. It may not receive an answering post because it is sub popular but one never knows. There may be someone out there bursting to share their passion:cool::D or just to wave an acknowledgement. Cheer,s more beer please Obolix:laugh:

@Kind of Blue Another source of decent quality audio performances are the BBC Proms which you can view on the BBC iplayer and will find in parts on Youtube.
A few years back they performed a Quincy Jones tribute using Jules Buckley and the Metropol Orchestra, they had Jacob Collier on piano and Corey Henry on an Hammond organ, the Hammond sounded really dirty, swirling and growling like it was angry.
I'll try to find some links as I find watching even recorded live performances can be still more involving than just sat in front of a pair of speakers, cheers!
I love the Hammond Organ Hammond organ - Wikipedia and the Fender Rhodes Rhodes piano - Wikipedia They are both so evocative. I do listen to some BBC Proms and watch occasionally. I know what you are saying about visual stimulation, it is great to see people actually making the music and not being limited to sound only. Certainly the company that one keeps may prefer it that way also. The U Tube sound is quite clear. I am always supersized by that.

You certainly have good memory for recall. I might hear the name of an artist quite a few times but I then forget the name very soon after. I have to burn it into my memory banks before I can recall them.:oops::rolleyes:

As I write I am listening to a recording of Jamie Cullum Radio Show BBC R2 3/3/20.
Collaboration Kind Of Music Tom Misch and Youssef Days Blue Note Records Due out 24 April

Interesting. Over riding impression of Pronounced Kick Drum and snare. I would not mind listening to little more of them. The Jamie Collum Show has a wide range of jazz across the spectrum, from the very earliest to the most contemporary. He also introduces lesser known artists. One guest is Yazmin Lacey ? She played a couple one in particular was so beautiful . Very simple, just her voice and a single electric (Jordan) ? guitar plucked and gently strummed very atmospheric loved it. So something for every one and it does not normally get stuck on one kind of jazz so if the first track is not to some ones liking the next track may be totally different. He also has gust artists. He is incredibly informed and his interviews are fun and relevant. I would suggest that it is a good music program for both jazz fanatics and more general music lovers and great for those just dipping a toe into the jazz water. Over the Pandemic he broadcasted from his home which has a huge music library. Occasionally he goes off piste just a little to music that might be in the Jazz spectrum but more of something else like jazzy soul or some other genre. This is not a hard core bebop program though occasionally it will be heard.

The only problem with my recordings is that there is no visual information on the screen about who the artist might be and what song. I often have to go to the beginning or end for an introduction. When listening live on free view all that is evident on the screen. I think that may be the same when listening to the radio via Sky as well. The quality of the sound is very good and better at night I am not sure why that might be. Though I listen to BBC R3 during the day and live concerts or recorded classical is excellent. The BBC does mess around with volume however BBC R3 is usually attenuated. This is because broadcasts may have quiet sections and then suddenly go to very high volume. This is often the case with classical so to be on the safe side particularly for drivers they may turn the volume down for some broadcasts and may change that for something else.

As I finish a fantastic piece came on. Has an Indian subcontinent feel to it. To me it is absolutely superb. Matthew Tavaras Visions track awakenings.

Last edited:
This Sunday evening

For the Big Band and Swing, especially for
Deaky

BBC 4
p.gif
BBC Young Musician (Music)
BBC Young Jazz Musician 2020: Final. Series 2020, episode 6.
The 2020 final of BBC Young Jazz Musician comes from London's Cadogan Hall. Hosted by saxophonist, composer and broadcaster YolanDa Brown, and filmed in the absence of audience, it features five of the UK's most promising young jazz performers - saxophonists Alex Clarke and Matt Carmichael, bassist Kielan Sheard, pianist Deschanel Gordon and guitarist Ralph Porrett.
Director: Rhodri Huw
Starring: YolanDa Brown

BBC R2
22:00
p.gif
The Swing & Big Band Show with Clare Teal (Music)
Clare presents the best in big band, jazz and swing, from the earliest recordings to the latest releases.
Starring: Clare Teal

The Most recent purchase. Not for chrimbo after all! :rofl:

Wind Shadows Tony Woods Project CD Goes along with Lowlands Tony Woods Project CD

Really excellent music. I will be buying more of his works

Back