Jacking for axle stand rear

t6_tom

Sold!
T6 Pro
Realise this has been covered more than once before but I couldn't find a clear answer with photos (apologies in advance if I'm being dumb)

Option A -------------------------------------------------- ARB bracket

AIs this a good option, the plastic undertray may not love it however it looks a good option

PXL_20210327_095541166.jpg
PXL_20210327_095438640.jpg
PXL_20210327_095402546.jpg

Option B - under towbar ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I read on another forum that someone had done this, it looks a good flat point however I'm not sure its sensible to jack half the van's weight up on this at once, also it means the whole thing is balancing on 3 points

PXL_20210327_102700577.jpg

Options C --under wishbones -------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read lots of people do this, however I can't see where I would clearly but a jack and i'm a bit nervous about jacking on a suspended point where the angle changes as you raise the vehicle.

Thanks in advance

Just seen the other thread, is this so you have enough time to get a stand under the actual jacking point?

Just seen the other thread, is this so you have enough time to get a stand under the actual jacking point?

Sorry to cause any confusion. for this thread yes this is just jacking so I've got enough time to put an axle stand in.

Makes sense, it's one of them questions no one wants to answer in case it goes wrong....

If your careful with a rubber pad or a block of wood you can jack up on the lower arm, under the spring will be fine.

I wouldn't use the tow bar or arb mount they could bend quite easily.

Sorry to cause any confusion. for this thread yes this is just jacking so I've got enough time to put an axle stand in.

I've been under the van this afternoon, greasing the bolts and cleaning the brake callipers in preparation for fitting the Bilstein's. I always take a few pics for reference anyway. Here's what I did - not necessarily the proper way, but it worked for me as I was simply taking one wheel off at a time.

20210329_163415.jpg

20210329_160720.jpg

20210329_152818.jpg

Last edited:
I've been under the van this afternoon, greasing the bolts and cleaning the brake callipers in preparation for fitting the Bilstein's. I always take a few pics for reference anyway. Here's what I did - not necessarily the proper way, but it worked for me as I was simply taking one wheel off at a time.

View attachment 110496

View attachment 110497

View attachment 110498
That's exactly where I place jack when lifting the rear. Does placing the axle stand where you have done allow the trailing arm to sag down if you undo the shock? I.E for altering coilovers or removing spring.? I usually place axle stand on the official jacking point to do this however I now have sidebars fitted so unsure I will get the axle stand in without contacting/damaging the sidebars. Cheers

Hi Carpy, I would say no because it's behind the fulcrum point. I only placed them there for ease whilst having the wheels off, nothing else. When it comes to replacing the springs and shocks, I'll have to look for somewhere else I'm thinking. Funny, I've just been reviewing another thread about painting callipers and found this picture. This is how its done :thumbsup:

Hope the link works....

Hi Carpy, I would say no because it's behind the fulcrum point. I only placed them there for ease whilst having the wheels off, nothing else. When it comes to replacing the springs and shocks, I'll have to look for somewhere else I'm thinking. Funny, I've just been reviewing another thread about painting callipers and found this picture. This is how its done :thumbsup:

Hope the link works....

Nice, get it up on 4 axle stands :thumbsup:

I'll try looking tomorrow and see if there's room for an axle stand beside the side bars, if not I suppose I could always remove the bar, 2 minute job. Cheers @Monkster1

Thanks for posting these really useful photos.

I recently took delivery of a T5.1 which was a Caravelle disability conversion converted to a camper. I didn't realise it had airbags on the back! (wondered why I kept hearing compressor pssst noises :D)

I got some repalcement alloys with all terrain tyres. None of the usual tyre places would work on the rear wheels in case it upsets the airbag system... jacking on the rear suspension arm with axle stand support (as per your photos) will allow me do this myself.

I have a 2 tonne jack will this be ok do you think or will I need something beefier?

Cheers
Tooleater

Back