It's Raining! What's The Wading Depth A Standard T6?

Scruffy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Quite a bit of rain in West Yorkshire today, and I nearly came a cropper in a very big "puddle". Fortunately I knew the road, and the camber meant it was deeper on one side and not the other, but it got me thinking what's the safe wading depth of a standard T6? I know the key is the position of the air filter, but are there any electrics lower down, you wouldn't want submerged for more than a second or two?

Just above the radar sensor at steady walking pace.

Really! Wow, that’s quite low. Mine’s too old for the radar sensor, but I’ve heard of people’s parking sensors been killed by deep water.

The intake is level with the headlight but you will push the water up as you drive through it.

Be careful with water I've destroyed the under body covers and bent up the heat shields just by driving through puddles.

As @Loz says keep it slow.

The air intake is behind the upper grill, all the electrics have weather packing so should be ok for a splash, but are not designed to be submerged.

So my take on it is to keep at or around the axle level. And only slightly over that in a dier emergency.

Also don't forget the air exit vent is at bumper level in the rear, it can leak if its submerged.

Be careful with water I've destroyed the under body covers and bent up the heat shields just by driving through puddles.

I was just about to warn about this, but looks like you're as bad as I am.

I hit a big deep puddle out in the sticks, and it instantly smashed the underside protective panel that covers the fuel and Adblue tanks, plus the remaining part of the shield jammed itself against the road, meaning I couldn't drive it until i'd untangled it, and tie wrapped the rest of the shield back up.
I wasn't going fast, probably around 30mph, and couldn't avoid it because there was a car coming the other way. It's a little shocking how much damage driving through big puddles can do.

I was just about to warn about this, but looks like you're as bad as I am.

I hit a big deep puddle out in the sticks, and it instantly smashed the underside protective panel that covers the fuel and Adblue tanks, plus the remaining part of the shield jammed itself against the road, meaning I couldn't drive it until i'd untangled it, and tie wrapped the rest of the shield back up.
I wasn't going fast, probably around 30mph, and couldn't avoid it because there was a car coming the other way. It's a little shocking how much damage driving through big puddles can do.
Yep. Been there.... done the same....

Yep. Been there.... done the same....

Did you replace the shield, or are the tie wraps still holding it together?
I dread to think what they cost because it's one large plastic panel that covers the whole passenger underside.

I've got 80mm before the underslung water tank hits the road surface, the end of the water tank breather pipe is probably at about 100 mm so the ingress of poopy water is something else to worry about when trying to kill your van, sorry, expensive van!:eek:

I dread to think what they cost because it's one large plastic panel that covers the whole passenger underside.

Just took them off and bend the shield back..... it was on the T5.1, . .... been much more careful with the T6.

I bent the pistons on my last van hit a puddle on a country lane only doing about 20mph but it ingested a load of water through the air intake

it was a Renault traffic and they had put the air intake at the bottom of the wheel arch

This makes interesting reading. I actively aim at puddles - I love doing it at speed and making as big a splash as I can.

I've been doing it for 20 years in various cars and vans and have never knowingly damaged anything. I've always figured vehicles are designed to deal with rain/puddles/speed.

The big tank cover is just under 80 of your British quids, just replaced mine due to puddle surfing too :whistle:

This makes interesting reading. I actively aim at puddles - I love doing it at speed and making as big a splash as I can.

I've been doing it for 20 years in various cars and vans and have never knowingly damaged anything. I've always figured vehicles are designed to deal with rain/puddles/speed.

You're a braver man than me. A big puddle killed my mates fuse box in his Golf a few weeks ago. Quite a big bill followed.

Would you be covered on your insurance for engine damage caused by driving through a deep puddle ?

I'm currently seeking quotes for a new fuel tank cover after leaving mine in a puddle last weekend. Seem to be a common issue looking at the thread.

Back