its me again - bulkhead dilema question

Andy Power

T6 Pro
I'm thinking to maximise room in my t6 Kombi
To put a Bulkhead behind the front seats (I will be removing the twin seat and will put the single one in should I need to occasionally use it.
The Bulkhead MUST have a sliding window in it (to keep my dogs cool if I need to take them somewhere) I have a sunroof so air would go directly through the 'open' window.

I also will need the bulkhead to be easily removed so that I can quickly put the Kombi back to a family van with the split 2/1 seating behind the front row.

I see lots of Genuine T5 Steel Bulkhead With Slide Opening Window, will this also fit the T6?
are the metal bulkheads very heavy? and are they easy to fit etc..etc..etc...

Thanks

Andy.
Loving my T6 though at the moment it feels like Im driving a double-decker bus :)

Can't help with you the seat thing but I can confirm that the factory bulk head comes out easy enough, held in by about 20, 13mm(ish) nuts. One person can lift them, I'd say they are about 15kg each. They can be removed and replaced in about 10/15 mins.
I'm not sure where you stand with having a single seat behind a bulk head without windows, possible lack of emergency escape issues thing, needs checking.

Can't help with you the seat thing but I can confirm that the factory bulk head comes out easy enough, held in by about 20, 13mm(ish) nuts. One person can lift them, I'd say they are about 15kg each. They can be removed and replaced in about 10/15 mins.
I'm not sure where you stand with having a single seat behind a bulk head without windows, possible lack of emergency escape issues thing, needs checking.

It's a Kombi van with twin side doors, so a single passenger in the back would have plenty of escape routs.
So will the T5 bulkhead fit a T6?

Sorry I didn't spot that it's a kombi. Your best person to ask is @Pauly with regards to a t5 bulk head fitting a t6.
Many people remove them so it's possible to pick up one cheap of even free.

Sorry I didn't spot that it's a kombi. Your best person to ask is @Pauly with regards to a t5 bulk head fitting a t6.
Many people remove them so it's possible to pick up one cheap of even free.

i'v seen plenty for sale and really cheap but it seems like all T6 bulkheads are solid, i want one with a sliding window and as far as i know only T5's had these which is why i need to know if it fits a T6.

The bulkheads are fixed in by a factory fitted metal bracket that is spot welded in to place so without this bracket you will have nothing to fix it to
Never had one so not sure about fixings on sides/top etc but that will be the biggest hurdle, the van body is the same shape though so see no reason why a T5 one wouldnt fit but it will all come down to fixings i think
someone like @slidepods or @BognorMotors should hopefully be able to confirm ?

So if it's the same shape as the T6 - would it be just a case of drilling and screws to hold it in place?

Not sure mate as never had one but i would have thought fixing some metal angle profile would hold it down to the floor replicating the factory style but not sure about sides/top
A few on here have removed them so can hopefully share some more info

In theory yes. I removed the brackets from my bulkhead and it was a swine of a job, grinding and drilling. Something has to be sacrificial so in my case it was the bracket that was wasted. However, the bracket was simple enough, I'm sure any self respecting bodger could come up with something that would make them screwable to the floor, even half a dozen angle brackets would do at a push, they themselves would just bolt on to the lower bulkhead, the top brackets are easier, bolted to the body so easy

mmm, sounds like it's not going to be easy then, perhaps i need to think of something else. All of the advertising for T5 bulk heads also says it will also fit a T6 so i was not expecting spot welding and bodging brackets etc etc... i'm looking for something that can fit in and be taken out...
i suppose i could look for a T6 bulkhead and get it cut for a window, but maybe put a curtain over the whole instead of a window.
Would a T6 bulkhead be easy to fit?

If you#re after a standard bulk head, top and bottom with the upper brackets I have one you can have for nowt but it's a bit of a trek over here for you

You have twin sliders so you would need a bulkhead from a twin slider van....and with a window.
Motexion do an aftermarket with window for a single slider van, and one for a kombi that goes behind second row of seats

Why not put a roof vent in for fido?

You have twin sliders so you would need a bulkhead from a twin slider van....and with a window.
Motexion do an aftermarket with window for a single slider van, and one for a kombi that goes behind second row of seats

Why not put a roof vent in for fido?

I considered the mid bulkhead but it would make the back too small (it's less space than my Combi van that I replaced with this T6. I need a bulkhead (with some sort of window) behind the front seats so I can take the rear seats away and have lots of space for my equipment etc etc.....

If you#re after a standard bulk head, top and bottom with the upper brackets I have one you can have for nowt but it's a bit of a trek over here for you

Thank you for your very kind offer - though I would need to find out if it would go into a Kombi with twin sliding doors etc.... Where are you based (I'm in the North East).

I do the same thing. I made a 2 piece removable bulk head out of 12mm marine ply.
Because it only fixes to the floor, I put a thin rubber gasket all the way round to ensure a tight, snug fit without it rattling in the van.

I do the same thing. I made a 2 piece removable bulk head out of 12mm marine ply.
Because it only fixes to the floor, I put a thin rubber gasket all the way round to ensure a tight, snug fit without it rattling in the van.

Would you be able to post some pics please? I'm getting the van ply lined on Thursday and might also ask if they could make me a removable bulkhead, I guess it doesn't even need to go to the roof, just 3/4 high - then I can still use my rear view mirror...

Is the rubber Matt in the Kombi hard wearing or do I also need to get that ply lined ?

Thank you so far for all your help guys

I'm in Anglesey north Wales

wow,its a bit of a trek as you say......I was supposed to be in Wales this weekend on a small tour with a band but it got posponed...
Im getting the van lpylined tomorrow and will see what those guys say etc :)

Last edited:
wow,its a bit of a treak as you say......I was supposed to be in Wales this weekend on a small tour with a band but it got posponed...
Im getting the van lpylined tomorrow and will see what those guys say etc :)
No worries, it's going to the tip in a couple of weeks anyway

Back