ISS and Space-related discussion

Always wanted to see a shuttle launch when I was younger. After seeing and hearing this I must get out to witness this in person!!!!

Sometimes in awe at what we can actually engineer.

Me & Mrs Bav happened to be in Florida when the Hubble Telescope was due to be launched. The timing was coincidental, but it was an absolute no-brainer that we should go witness this historic event, especially as Cape Canaveral was only a 2-hour drive from where we were in Tampa.

We were told to expect lots of traffic and set off at silly o'clock in the morning to get a good viewing spot, but as we got within a few miles the traffic just ground to a halt. We ended up pulling over onto the verge to watch the launch from a roadside embankment, along with 100s of Floridians. Thankfully, the view wasn't too bad - we could see the shuttle in the far distance - and the excitement mounted as the countdown was relayed over various radios.

We got to (I think) T-minus 8 seconds and... and then the launch was aborted! Absolutely gutted. :cry:

Last edited:
Just seen on the BBC that Virgin Orbit do not know (or aren't telling us) exactly where the rocket now is. Apparently it reached space and may be in an unknown orbit.......

Back