ISS and Space-related discussion

The speed has declined to 1.09 miles per sec from 1.11 this morning. Since, afaik, there is zero drag/resistance in space, why is it slowing ?

I suspect that it will continue to decrease as it nears Lagrange Point 2 (L2). Slowing down with rockets means extra fuel weight which then needs even more fuel to get off the ground...
Bizarrely, the craft needs fuel for occasional burns to stay in "orbit" around L2 as there isn't actually anything there to orbit around.

I suspect that it will continue to decrease as it nears Lagrange Point 2 (L2). Slowing down with rockets means extra fuel weight which then needs even more fuel to get off the ground...
Bizarrely, the craft needs fuel for occasional burns to stay in "orbit" around L2 as there isn't actually anything there to orbit around.
Wont the telescope be orbiting the Sun at a distance 193000 miles more than the Earth does? That’s my understanding of the L2 orbit.

They need to under thrust so as not to overshoot its orbit as it is not capable of turning around to slow down as this would expose the telescope to the sun.
instead they with do a number of under burns.

They need to under thrust so as not to overshoot its orbit as it is not capable of turning around to slow down as this would expose the telescope to the sun.
instead they with do a number of under burns.
If they overshoot something's gone seriously wrong!

Wont the telescope be orbiting the Sun at a distance 193000 miles more than the Earth does? That’s my understanding of the L2 orbit.
L2 is 930 000 miles but even though the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and the Earth will theoretically maintain an object at this point it isn't completely stable and will drift eventually.
However, L2 is in constant shadow which isn't much good for solar power so the JWST, along with a few existing probes will orbit around L2 so it will still receive solar energy.

(This is only what I've read!)

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
If they overshoot something's gone seriously wrong!

L2 is 930 000 miles but even though the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and the Earth will theoretically maintain an object at this point it isn't completely stable and will drift eventually.
However, L2 is in constant shadow which isn't much good for solar power so the JWST, along with a few existing probes will orbit around L2 so it will still receive solar energy.

(This is only what I've read!)
Thats my understanding, but it was the fact you wrote "as there isn't actually anything there to orbit around" that puzzled me, as it will be orbiting around the Sun.

According to that tracker its over the Atlantic now so I dont think it will be 00:06. Looks like somewhere between 23:15 - 23:30 for us.

Back