ISS and Space-related discussion

Northern Lights!!

I wasn’t going to post this with the weather forecast not looking so great, but it maybe worth you taking a look if you get a clear night, or a break in the clouds...

There is a chance you could see the aurora borealis (northern lights) from Scotland and the extreme North of England over the next few days.
Storms can be very unpredictable, and the intensity or where the aurora can be seen from till it hits.

ISS pass tonight over UK.. 20:01 :thumbsup:

Just picked up on another forum about Saturn and Jupiter conjunction on 21st December...

Before 2020 ends, a great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn | EarthSky.org
I am a complete novice to this, so please bear with me! What is the best way and best time to view this? I’d like to show my boys (aged 6 and 8). Reading the link you posted and it reports that the next opportunity is 2080. It also suggests that we can start observing now and see the conjunction increase as we approach the peak on 21 December. (So, we might get some observation practice in by then!)

Any pointers would be gratefully received!

As soon as it's dark look South. You'll see Jupiter (bright) and Saturn diagonally up left from it. The moon was in conjunction this evening. Went to take a pic and it clouded over.

As soon as it's dark look South. You'll see Jupiter (bright) and Saturn diagonally up left from it. The moon was in conjunction this evening. Went to take a pic and it clouded over.
Thank you! We will give this a go.

The International Space Station is a regular one to spot on a clear night and the right orbit. I use an app GoISSWatch.

Ian

Reactions: JOG
I am a complete novice to this, so please bear with me! What is the best way and best time to view this? I’d like to show my boys (aged 6 and 8). Reading the link you posted and it reports that the next opportunity is 2080. It also suggests that we can start observing now and see the conjunction increase as we approach the peak on 21 December. (So, we might get some observation practice in by then!)

If you have Android then a a good app you can download is (sky map) on Google play store , unfortunately am not sure if iPhone has something the same or similar , it basically uses your phone's position as you point it in the direction of the planets and will tell you what planet it is or were in the sky it is or if it's on other side of earth from you ,Al post a live pic of were they are just now

Screenshot_20201119-224825.jpg

If you have Android then a a good app you can download is (sky map) on Google play store , unfortunately am not sure if iPhone has something the same or similar , it basically uses your phone's position as you point it in the direction of the planets and will tell you what planet it is or were in the sky it is or if it's on other side of earth from you ,Al post a live pic of were they are just now

View attachment 92412
Thanks for that....I will see if iPhone App Store has something

There is one called “Sky Walk 2” for about £3 on the App Store for iPhone....anyone on here use it? It gets a good rating

The International Space Station is a regular one to spot on a clear night and the right orbit. I use an app GoISSWatch.

Ian
Thanks Ian. I've loaded that now. The boys followed the Tim Peake story at school and on the news, so that one will interest them. (And, Daddy might be able to find it too!!!)

Thanks Ian. I've loaded that now. The boys followed the Tim Peake story at school and on the news, so that one will interest them. (And, Daddy might be able to find it too!!!)

this is the other one I use, this shows many satellites incl space X - you just need to enter a nearby city/town and it will show you whats passing overhead. You’ll be surprised how many items are passing overhead daily! I just save the link and use in safari.

One clear night in the summer SWMBO and I lay on the back lawn watching stuff fly over (honest!).

Reactions: JOG
I have SkyView light on the iPhone and iPad, great for finding stars planets and satellites.
If you would like to take photos of the night sky, the NightCap app is one of the best.

Jupiter and Saturn will look like two bright stars, you will find them alongside the moon.

The ISS will be visible over the UK from the 23rd November.

Back