is there much difference in real life mpg between the 102 and the 110 T30?

AndyMull

Hello, I am Andy from the Isle of Mull. We are wanting to buy a transporter panel van, not to be converted to a camper as this will become our only every day vehicle. We are looking forward to having nights out camping in it so will make a simple sleeping platform and will also want to remove the upper section of the bulkhead. We need to keep the van adaptable so we can chuck in bulky items like fish boxes of seaweed for the garden or wooden pallets, building materials etc but nothing really heavy. The problem in my head is choosing the right engine size. The T6, t28 102 is the most fuel efficient and this is very appealing living in a very remote place. What I really need to know is there much difference in real life mpg between the 102 and the 110 t30. Please can somebody help me who has experienced both. This has become a mental block. Thanks.

Hello, I am Andy from the Isle of Mull. We are wanting to buy a transporter panel van, not to be converted to a camper as this will become our only every day vehicle. We are looking forward to having nights out camping in it so will make a simple sleeping platform and will also want to remove the upper section of the bulkhead. We need to keep the van adaptable so we can chuck in bulky items like fish boxes of seaweed for the garden or wooden pallets, building materials etc but nothing really heavy. The problem in my head is choosing the right engine size. The T6, t28 102 is the most fuel efficient and this is very appealing living in a very remote place. What I really need to know is there much difference in real life mpg between the 102 and the 110 t30. Please can somebody help me who has experienced both. This has become a mental block. Thanks.
You might be overthinking this..........
The difference in power output suggests that the difference in fuel economy will be very small. I wait to be corrected but I just can't see the difference being more than marginal, driving style may be a bigger factor.
I've enjoyed some wonderful holidays on the Isle of Mull and from memory of driving the roads there I doubt you'll need a six speed gearbox!
Good luck whatever to go for. :thumbsup:

I doubt you will notice a difference. If this is a second hand purchase, then bear in mind that the 102 engine could come as a Euro5 or Euro6 (requires AdBlue) engine. This may shape your view too.

Pete

I have read that many are disappointed with the T6.1 fuel economy and that the T6 is more economical. we don't need the 6.1 upgrades! The van wont be carrying much weight so was thinking the t28 would be OK but all I know this refers to the payload. Can you clear this up for me……are the suspensions very different and would a t30 cope with our single track rough roads better?

hello and welcome i posted this up yesterday if it helps on payloads i run a T30 LWB B.M.T 102 non Ad-blue
running the van empty would give better fuel economy and don't haul a full tank of fuel everywhere you go SWB is sized built to carry 1 pallet of bricks the LWB 1.5 pallets
a more power engine might drop the revs even further for the same 2.ltr engine would give better MPG

so the T30 suspension would be in the medium range

The vans payload says it can carry
  • T28 - 2,800kg or 2.8 tonnes
  • T30 - 3,000kg or 3.0 tonnes
  • T32 - 3,200kg or 3.2 tonnes
would a 4 wheel drive suit the roads better that you have

I have read that many are disappointed with the T6.1 fuel economy and that the T6 is more economical. we don't need the 6.1 upgrades! The van wont be carrying much weight so was thinking the t28 would be OK but all I know this refers to the payload. Can you clear this up for me……are the suspensions very different and would a t30 cope with our single track rough roads better?
The suspension on any T6 or T6.1 will cope with your roads if driven appropriately but the T28 might soak up the irregularities a bit better and provide a smoother ride, a T30 will carry almost a tonne and that might be overkill for you. Obviously a T28 carries 200KG less. I'd probably avoid the stronger sprung T32, it might ride a bit hard.
Some years ago I drove a hired VW Golf around Mull for two weeks and just pottering around it was more than capable of dealing with the roads. I doubt I did more than 30mph in the two weeks, it was great.
Obviously you want to avoid buying anything that has been lowered, or be prepared to put it back to standard height if you do. A 4Motion van might suit you in winter but they do use a bit more fuel all year round!

Thats really helpful thank you. Thirty two years ago we arrived on Mull in a series 2a landrover rag top and in those days 4x4 was necessary. The roads thankfully are much improved. At the moment I am leaning towards a 2019 T6 110 t28 swb highline if I can find one!!

I’m running a 6.1 150 SWB T28 Highline with a full camper conversion and 80l fuel tank and am consistently getting 42mpg upwards, and better depending on where I drive and speeds. The best I’ve had was 50mpg on a motorway run of 140miles.

As for ride, it’s coped very well with some really poor tracks where I live and during 2 weeks in Norfolk and Suffolk, frequently on small country tracks. No issues at all.

I thought I write my experience. Just bought the t6 t28 102bhp camper conversion , and I like it ! I had a t5.1 transporter 140bhp previously, sold two year ago. Worried about only 5 gears , but I have done approximately 2k miles so far and no real issue with power. It’s a camper remember, not a GTI car. Perhaps difference is on steep hills where you need to go down to 4th or 3rd gear! But my old t5.1 was DSG and also was going down a gear or two , but less noticeable as automatic!! Overall very happy so far !

Back