Is The 102 Bhp Really Powerful Enough

T6wannabee

T6 Pro
I’m looking at getting my first T6 to get converted to a camper and looking at most of the adds there seems to be loads of 102 s around.
I did manage to get down to busfest to have a look around at some of the wonderful conversions and I must say there is some amazing stuff out there.
Me and my family are Caravaners but not using the van enough do to work commitments so looking at a camper for the odd 1 or 2 nights out.

Cheers Daz

Some of larger scale converters tend to favour the 102 which is one reason why you see so many 102 based campers - the engine is perfectly adequate for most but if you intend towing your caravan as well you might want to look at the 150 and 204.

Just as relevant for a camper is making sure you get the right weight rating - lots use T28s but a full scale conversion will take you close to the 2800kg limit, especially if there is more than 2 of you that, like us, like to take everything.

We have a 102 bhp camper. It happily keeps up with everyday traffic, and was fine pulling up passes in the Alps this summer.
I suggest you test drive one.

Pete

Some of larger scale converters tend to favour the 102 which is one reason why you see so many 102 based campers - the engine is perfectly adequate for most but if you intend towing your caravan as well you might want to look at the 150 and 204.

Just as relevant for a camper is making sure you get the right weight rating - lots use T28s but a full scale conversion will take you close to the 2800kg limit, especially if there is more than 2 of you that, like us, like to take everything.
Thanks for the quick reply.
We won’t be towing the Caravan that is being sold along with my new car to fund the camper.
I have the 190 DSG in my car and that is pretty quick so just wondered if I should look at the higher bhp but the price risers with the power.

Cheers Daz

Thanks for the quick reply.
We won’t be towing the Caravan that is being sold along with my new car to fund the camper.
I have the 190 DSG in my car and that is pretty quick so just wondered if I should look at the higher bhp but the price risers with the power.

Cheers Daz
Ultimately it will still be a van and whatever you do to it, it will still have different driving dynamics to a similarly powered and set up car.

So long as you are happy keeping up with traffic rather than having to be first away from the lights every time , etc., then a 102 will suffice (I have 150 based camper conversation but rarely use the power available).

As above, might be worth test driving a couple to see what you think.

Just remember that when you test drive a bare van unloaded,
It will be nothing like it once converted..with weight.
I have the 102 and hate it in every sense.

Loaded with workgear (a pv) i dread putting my foot completely to the floor on a long uphill road just to keep it at around 60mph

Worth considering as well, that the 102 has a 5 speed gearbox, whereas the 140/150 and above get a more robust 6 speed box.

We got rid of our caravan for the same reason but we hired a camper van first to make sure we could live with it. The hire van was a 102 and was adequate for normal driving but lacked for overtaking and motorway acceleration so we decided on the 150 but ended up with the 204 due to what was available. Absolutely love the extra power and wouldn’t change but my advice would be to test drive them to see what suits your likes. There are remaps out there as well to up the power if that’s your thing.

@Fish has a photo of my van (which features a full camper conversion) after taking him, his son Ethan and all their camping gear + caravelle seats, table and a set of show alloys to busfest a few weeks back. We had a trailer touching a ton at least and my t30 most definatly over loaded. The 102 managed the hills of Malvern well and yes although not ideal it got there. I'm happy knowing my 102 can pull some weight if needed.
I find day to day I get about 34mpg but I'm not overly light footed. She manages easily on hills and can overtake lorries and slow moving vehicles happily.
If it's your thing you could research the remap scene. The 102 is a downgraded 140 engine -6th gear and so can be remapped up to 150+ (your own research is highly advised) but this is an option if you find it lacking.

What holds a lot also holds a little.
If you have the power you don't need to use it but if you don't have it you can't use it. Better to have then not in my opinion.

What holds a lot also holds a little.
If you have the power you don't need to use it but if you don't have it you can't use it. Better to have then not in my opinion.

Totally agree with that sentiment.
I've owned older air-cooled VW Campers, and as cool as they are, my days of puffing and wheezing up hills are long gone. The 102 might well be ok for what it's designed for, but on todays roads, where it's almost dog eat dog, there's no way i'd want anything too underpowered. For me it would be minimum 150 as a camper, but if you can stretch to a 204 DSG, you certainly won't regret it. (plus residuals higher, and far more desirable)

I have a 150 T30 with a manual gearbox converted camper, its ideal but so is the '102' and the '204' at the end of the day test drive as many
as you can to get a feel, it's all down to pocket and taste and how much you will use it.
At the end of the day when we are in the camper, life's a little less stressful and we are never in a rush to get where we are going

Totally agree with that sentiment.
I've owned older air-cooled VW Campers, and as cool as they are, my days of puffing and wheezing up hills are long gone. The 102 might well be ok for what it's designed for, but on todays roads, where it's almost dog eat dog, there's no way i'd want anything too underpowered. For me it would be minimum 150 as a camper, but if you can stretch to a 204 DSG, you certainly won't regret it. (plus residuals higher, and far more desirable)
Hi tourershine if your the same person (which I’m sure you are) you put your tourershine on our Caravan many years ago . I think ours was the first 2013 unicorn you did in Mansfield.

Hi tourershine if your the same person (which I’m sure you are) you put your tourershine on our Caravan many years ago . I think ours was the first 2013 unicorn you did in Mansfield.

If the job was done properly and you were happy, it was us, if not, no idea what you're talking about :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just flicked through my diary for 2013, is it Darren?

Yes that's me .
And yes I can vouch for the protection you put on .
Cheers Daz

Pheww:thumbsup:

As you are not far from me, if you struggle to get to try out a 204 DSG, i'm happy to let you give mine a drive.
It won't be what you want in a camper, because it's been set-up to be very low and stiff as per my own requirements, but it carries around the same amount of weight as a fully converted Camper, and it will give you a feel of how they drive as a 204 DSG lump.
This is unless a 204 is not within your budget, in which case I would suggest you don't drive a 204 at all.

Last edited:
Pheww:thumbsup:

As you are not far from me, if you struggle to get to try out a 204 DSG, i'm happy to let you give mine a drive.
It won't be what you want in a camper, because it's been set-up to be very low and stiff as per my own requirements, but it carries around the same amount of weight as a fully converted Camper, and it will give you a feel of how they drive as a 204 DSG lump.
This is unless a 204 is not within your budget, in which case I would suggest you don't drive a 204 at all.
Thanks for the offer but yes a 204 would be out of budget.
I’m selling my 2018 unicorn and my 2017 Skoda sportsline 190 dsg and adding some cash so I’ll have a healthy budget but not that healthy.

I think I'm the only one here with an 84ps (and perfectly happy with it)
My lads T5 camper is also an 84, last w/e it dragged him, his mates & their bikes up the Welsh mountains just fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back