is it better to get a swivel platform to add to existing T6 base or a caravelle base with swivel included?

Looking to make the front seats (driver and captain) swivel and trying to work out the best option. New bases or add a swivel platform to existing base. Any advice or feedback much appreciated.

I`ve no idea on the cost difference, but the conversions usually have the seat bases on a swivel plate and they appear to work well and easily enough.

The biggest issue is that a swivel plate adds 25mm to the height of the base. I purchased a lower base but then you loose some of the volume under the seat.:(

I've also got California swivels, good side is that they're oem so nice and neat with no rattles and as the previous post says - no extra height
Downside is they are expensive and not height adjustable, having said that, I wouldn't swap them

Factory bases are the best quality. There is option for safe/base which dont add height and still allow height adjustment

I have a Kiravan's driver swivel base and a Caravelle swivel passenger. Both do the job brilliantly. The Kiravan's is a retro fit kit but the Caravelle is the complete seat I believe (it came complete to me and sits on the original style single base).

The Kiravan one was £150 and solid. It does sit 25mm higher as mentioned. It doesn't rattle or rock when driving because it has diablo shaped interlocking bushes that sit together when in the forward position. I've been driving with the base in place for 16 months without issue. My only complaint was that although the seat locates forwards on a spring loaded clasp (Red knob), it does not locate in anything when facing backwards. I sorted this with a shortened M6 bolt and it drops in like a pin once turned.

Here's a few photo's from early on in my build. I didn't lower my handbrake but instead removed the plastic outer cover and opted for a replacement hand grip and leather cover. Sorry about the massive pics but at least you can see plenty. The Kiravan's one also allowed my sufficient space to install a leisure battery.

Russ

20190822_101355.jpg20190822_114609.jpg20190822_114653.jpg20190822_125434.jpg20190822_130837.jpg

20190822_114653.jpg

My only complaint was that although the seat locates forwards on a spring loaded clasp (Red knob), it does not locate in anything when facing backwards. I sorted this with a shortened M6 bolt and it drops in like a pin once turned.
Do you have any pictures of how this DIY M6 drop pin works? I am interested in doing it with my Kiravans swivels.

OK, I've taken a few shots, - hope they clear enough to get your bearings.

1. Seat in normal position, but forwards on the runners to show the base
2. Shows how I drop the modified 'pin' in place for storage whilst driving
3. Swivel base now turned round 180 showing the 8mm hole for the M8 bolt
4. Shows the bolt in place securing the seat
5. A slightly better angle...
6. Seat back in normal position again.
7. Bolt comparison

I found it easier to drill the hole through both the plates with the base on a pallet. It also keeps any swarf out of the carpets etc. Only other thing to add is that I used an M8 with a long collar and short threads so it didn't encourage wear or chatter whilst driving about.

Turning the Kiravan's base is a bit tricky but it's definitely doable albeit a squeeze past the steering wheel. I found the best way was to move the seat back rest quite forward and drop both arm rests out of the way. Then you can find some middle ground to turn the seat.

20201230_132846.jpg

20201230_132907.jpg

20201230_132908.jpg

20201230_132957.jpg

20201230_132958.jpg

20201230_133254.jpg

20201230_140828.jpg

Hi, For me it was down to cost. £850 VW seat against £150 Kiravans seat base.

The VW Caravelle 'in house' seats are pretty faultless. My knowledge of these seats is only limited to my own though. They have a simple discreet forward facing release handle and mine has a central pivot point and it is integral to the seat construction. They attach using the 4 existing bolt points. They look identical to standard seats and I've had no rattling or noises from mine, and they are a 'one out - one in' fitment.

The Kiravan base is easy enough to fit, it's a substantial construction made by RIB, and for the few times it'll get used like on a camp site, it does the job perfectly. The Caravelle passenger seat on the other hand gets used regularly.

I was conscious about built / conversion costs and I like a good deal where possible like anyone. The Caravelle seat was by far the biggest single purchase I have spent up to now but knowing I'd got the right base van for me meant I was going to have to spend money on certain things and the double front had to go for convenience. The seat initially was advertised at £1000 but it was 3 months old (2019) and in Simora so it matched perfectly with my 2018 seat. I knew I'd not get the chance again so over a coffee and a good chat the fine chap gave me a great deal at £850 and proceeded to unbolt it from his new van.

To sum up, the VW seat is the easy / expensive option as you replace the whole seat whereas the Kiravans base is the convenient / cheaper base only option.

Hi, For me it was down to cost. £850 VW seat against £150 Kiravans seat base.

The VW Caravelle 'in house' seats are pretty faultless. My knowledge of these seats is only limited to my own though. They have a simple discreet forward facing release handle and mine has a central pivot point and it is integral to the seat construction. They attach using the 4 existing bolt points. They look identical to standard seats and I've had no rattling or noises from mine, and they are a 'one out - one in' fitment.

The Kiravan base is easy enough to fit, it's a substantial construction made by RIB, and for the few times it'll get used like on a camp site, it does the job perfectly. The Caravelle passenger seat on the other hand gets used regularly.

I was conscious about built / conversion costs and I like a good deal where possible like anyone. The Caravelle seat was by far the biggest single purchase I have spent up to now but knowing I'd got the right base van for me meant I was going to have to spend money on certain things and the double front had to go for convenience. The seat initially was advertised at £1000 but it was 3 months old (2019) and in Simora so it matched perfectly with my 2018 seat. I knew I'd not get the chance again so over a coffee and a good chat the fine chap gave me a great deal at £850 and proceeded to unbolt it from his new van.

To sum up, the VW seat is the easy / expensive option as you replace the whole seat whereas the Kiravans base is the convenient / cheaper base only option.
Don’t forget if you buy a VW OEM swivel seat you will then have a seat to sell. I did this and it cost me about the same price as buying a swivel base. So I would say it’s not about cost.

Agreed, I didn't consider that tbh as the twin seat I removed is moth-balled in the loft. I didn't think there'd be much demand for twins but it's available if someone needs a Simora twin. (Sorry, I didn't mean to turn it into a sales pitch.)

Back