Is Hilo roof too low for RIB bed? RIB/HiLo Combination

MFielding

204, DSG, SWB, Mojave Beige
VIP Member
Hello fellow T6ers. I'm having a hilo fitted right now to our SWB T6 and have a RIB 112 on order. Jason at Jaibow informed me when I dropped off my van to him about the RIB seat being particularly high and potentially an issue. Something that I hadn't realised. Due to covid I hadn't been able to test one in real life and instead just had to go for what I thought was the right option for us. Now a little worried, does anyone have any experience sitting in a rib / hilo combination? Any images people may have of this combo would be great? Also your opinions would be extremely helpful. Thanks. Mike

I think you loose about 100mm head height with low profile roofs. Could be an issue. I have a RiB bed with a Reimo easylift roof. I'm not quite six foot and it's close

You could get the seat foam reduced in height a bit, sitting side. There’s a van in VW Bus magazine that’s done this with a stealth roof

You could get the seat foam reduced in height a bit, sitting side. There’s a van in VW Bus magazine that’s done this with a stealth roof
That sounds very interesting. Wonder how easy that is to do. I'll try and find that. Yes it seems that most of the height comes from the seat pad. I did have the slightly crazy idea of cutting 50 to 100mm out of the base verticals and re welding back together as I have all the gear to do this but would rather not tamper with this if possible.

Aha ofcourse. That rules that out.
You dont say how tall you are, but Im 6' and with a Hilo and RIB the base of the bed board is about level with the top of my ears at best. No way could I sit in the seat for any reasonable time.
Strangely I was at Jaibow yesterday and having this very conversation with him.

You don't by any chance know which issue of VW Bus magazine this would feature in?
You dont say how tall you are, but Im 6' and with a Hilo and RIB the base of the bed board is about level with the top of my ears at best. No way could I sit in the seat for any reasonable time.
Strangely I was at Jaibow yesterday and having this very conversation with him.
That's a ridiculous coincidence, I just dropped my van off with Jaibow yesterday too. Yes I'm about 5"11 so it's going to be a struggle. What conclusion have you come to? Jason recommended titan beds.

You don't by any chance know which issue of VW Bus magazine this would feature in?

That's a ridiculous coincidence, I just dropped my van off with Jaibow yesterday too. Yes I'm about 5"11 so it's going to be a struggle. What conclusion have you come to? Jason recommended titan beds.
What time were you there? Yes, Jason only fits the Titan beds, I will look at those, however my choice at the moment would be the Reimo Variotec 3000 on the rails as I want to be able to slide the seats forwards and backwards. Im going to look at one this Saturday.

It’s the current issue, first feature

I sat in one with a rib bed with hilo roof and it was too high so went with titan and that's sound

What time were you there? Yes, Jason only fits the Titan beds, I will look at those, however my choice at the moment would be the Reimo Variotec 3000 on the rails as I want to be able to slide the seats forwards and backwards. Im going to look at one
I was there about 2:30 - 4.

Hi, Just joined the forum can anybody tell me the internal finished height of the Hilo roof from metal floor. I've been told it drops down at the rear just trying to find furniture to fit

Hi, Just joined the forum can anybody tell me the internal finished height of the Hilo roof from metal floor. I've been told it drops down at the rear just trying to find furniture to fit
The hilo roof actually slopes back over so is higher at the front where it meets the cab head height and goes down to flush with the tailgate beam at the rear if that makes sense. I'll attach a picture. I bought a rib and ended up selling it as there was not nearly enough headroom for me to sit up in the back. I'm about 5'10

IMG_7362.jpg

Hi,

Has anyone got the HiLo roof with standard kombi bench in the middle, how is the head clearance?

The hilo roof actually slopes back over so is higher at the front where it meets the cab head height and goes down to flush with the tailgate beam at the rear if that makes sense. I'll attach a picture. I bought a rib and ended up selling it as there was not nearly enough headroom for me to sit up in the back. I'm about 5'10

View attachment 124343
Hi mate, I'm on this same journey now and my vans having the Hilo roof fitted as we speak. I wanted a Rib bed on rails but looks like I'm going for the Titan now. Have you got and more pictures please? And which bed did you go for? Thanks.

Back