is a night-heater and Solar an expensive addition?

Iggster

Hi being new I think I've found the campervan that's suits me how ever I'd like to have a night heater and solar panel fitted are these expensive to have fitted.

Not sure on the solar panels but a diesel heater (decent one) you'll be looking between £1.5/2k.
If you're going for an EHU then you could look at a plinth heater or something of a similar ilk.

Planar Autoterm diesel heater is good quality and should be less than £800 supplied and fitted with a 3 yr warranty.
Solar will really depend on panel choice and if you intend to fit it yourself. I’d guess a decent flexi with a Victron controller could come in about £400 diy.
But most importantly…..if you’ve found the van that suits you remember that you don’t need either of these things immediately and both can be retrofitted independent of each other at any time.
I’ve only just put solar on mine after 2 years. Depending on your use (sites with EHU) you may never need it.
Same with diesel heater. If using sites all the time then you can use a little oil filled radiator.
Both those items are more off-grid options.

I bought a brand new Vevor Diesel heater from a chap on here for £60, it came with everything needed and fitted it myself, so that's one end of the spectrum. But my van's not a camper and I'll probably only use it for half an hour on cold mornings before I get in the van.

Diesel heater is the best thing I added to my camper. I only run it for a few minutes to cover the gap from getting in from an event cold and wet, and getting changed to warm, dry and having a brew.

My new van isn’t here yet and I’ve already bought the heater for it (£100 cheap one - plenty of debates on pros and cons of these on the forum).

I have solar & a Webasto. If I had to choose one over the other, I’d keep the Webasto.
Obviously in an ideal world, you have both.

I have a similar set up to @Salty Spuds with a Webasto heater to keep me toasty when wild camping in the Winter. I’ve also now fitted 200w watts of solar power on the roof so I can be independent almost indefinitely. However when my son and family borrow the van they only go to campsites with EHU in the summer. So both those things are irrelevant to them. So, see what suits you after you've had the new van for a while.

Back