Iphone X Gps Behaving Badly With Apps Like Waze And Apple Maps Whilst In My T6

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Im posting this here just in case its related to my t6 or combination of t6 and Kenwood 9190dabs sat nav and my iPhone x..
to put it bluntly the iPhones gps ability seems absolutely awful in my van at the moment to the point of driving me insane .. its constantly losing location info, rerouting, telling me to make a u turn when its wrong its just unusable !
I can be on a well known road and it seems to think i'm driving in a field about quarter of a mile away !
im wondering if the two devices are interfering with each other ?

its totally dumb that I've got £1000 worth of phone and £1300 worth of head unit and im having these kind of problems ... anyone else had issues like this ? or know of a fix ? its driving me nuts..

the Kenwood sat nav has no issues with gps its just that I like to use Waze and apple maps and I like to be able to speak a location rather than pull over to the side of a road and painstakingly type it in one letter at a time ! another thing I find staggering about the kenwood unit at this price !
this problem seems to have got progressively worse... it started out with an occasional glitch but has become irritating to the point of making me damned angry at times whilst im driving and I can do without it..

I've tried putting the phone on the dash above the area where the Kenwoods gps arial is located and it makes no difference... im sat at home now and gps on the phone seems to see my location exactly with no issues.. but as soon as im in the van and driving anywhere even locally it starts playing up

Last edited:
Does this apply to the iphone when the Kenwood is completely off ?
What app are you using on the iPhone to navigate?
Do you get the same symptoms in a different vehicle using just the iPhone and the app ?
I think you need to eliminate possible causes one by one.

Pete

i get this on an iphone 7 on the discover media head unit. gps regularly gets lost and confused.

well the whole point is to have the iPhone using apple car play with the Kenwood head unit that's why I bought it so I've not actually tried just the phone but will do .. good idea !... its a way of trying to eliminate things... and you've just made me think about the fact im using wireless car play ! so I should also try using the phone wired to see if its not the wireless connection that is somehow causing the problem ( I certainly hope not) as far as apps are concerned its both Waze and apple maps. Before I bought the van a few months ago I was regularly hiring cars and never had a single issue with either the phone or any car play enabled vehicle.. but must admit I've upgraded to this phone not long before I bought the van so .....
and it was always a wired connection..... hmmmmmm I have a feeling its related to wireless car play .. anyone else using wireless car play with a sat nav enabled head unit without any iPhone gps issues ?

Is the head unit running the latest software? I would soft reset both the head unit and the phone and then try again

Is the head unit running the latest software? I would soft reset both the head unit and the phone and then try again
yes its all the latest software... just checking the Kenwood now .. as its a very new model.. but I upgraded it in October to the latest firmware.. yes no sign of any new firmware for it.

will try resetting things but that Kenwood unit is a bugger to setup... once its working you kind of just want to leave it alone ... the most stupid bug is if I dare to press anything related to android mirroring it completely ignores the apple iPhone wireless connection and sits there waiting for an android phone and the only fix is to plug the iPhone in with a cable to get back to a working system again... its a really pathetic bug for a head unit at this price
im really quite disappointed with it for the money ... seems to me there must be a better solution to this head unit problem than letting a company that make food mixers design car tech

Last edited:
Do have aftermarket Leds? Or other charge adapters or devices plugged into the 12v outlets?
Things like this can cause interference and effectively jam the gps signal.

Do have aftermarket Leds? Or other charge adapters or devices plugged into the 12v outlets?
Things like this can cause interference and effectively jam the gps signal.
hmmm now the only thing i do have is both cameras that go with the Kenwoood eg reverse and dashcam connected to the head unit ( can't see that being the issue )but also a front and rear "blackview" camera system that is really for 24 hr recording it also communicates with the phone via wi fi to view cameras live and to see recorded events and I believe it creates a 5g network or that may be the Kenwood wi fi I get confused but suffice to say there is a lot of wi fi going on in my van and im now wondering if that could be causing interference. Looks like a lot of elimination to do to get to the cause .. will try using a wired connection for the phone I think first and go from there

So it seems that whenever the kenwood head unit is operating the iPhone GPS is thrown into total chaos.. Wired not wired it's the same! Is there anyone else running this combo of head unit and iPhone ?
My phone worked perfectly until I switched on the head unit! But of course I need the head unit in for sound and reverse camera! So perhaps Garmin have worked out a cunning plan of not becoming obsolete!! As to he quite honest if my iPhone worked without this issue I would just use maps and Waze and probably never switch the Garmin nav on! I could have also saved a lot of money by buying a none sat nav version of this head unit damn it.
So please if anyone can tell me they are not having this problem it would be great as it could obviously be resolved but as it is it seems I have bought a head unit that is totally incompatible with the iPhones gps

Next thing to try is someone else's iPhone (any type) in the van instead of yours.

Pete

Can you disable the bluetooth (anything that broadcasts )on the kenwood?

Can you disable the bluetooth (anything that broadcasts )on the kenwood?
Ok so turning off blue tooth just kills the wireless car play And when car play is enabled wirelessly the blue tooth on off facility is greyed out so that is no solution. I've also initialised the kenwood ( pain the butt ) and used my phone wired with blue tooth switched off and still GPS on the phone is useless!! You can also not switch off GPS on the head unit. navigation is running wether you want it or not.
So it looks like this combination is actually a total load of bollox... Basically apple car play functions BUT GPS on the iPhone is rendered useless by the GPS in the kenwood unit... So I have now no option other than to take this to both apple and kenwood and get them to work it out!.. It's ridiculous.
£2300 and no correctly functioning Gps on my iPhone when driving!
How wrong is that ?

Definitely worth trying a different Apple phone.

It’s odd because GPS is a passive thing - our devices just receive satellite signals and determine location from that.
Could you try a super long Apple cable to get the phone as far away from the Kenwood - just to test it ? It is possible the Kenwood is radiating some other interference.

Pete

Try unrolling a sheet of tinfoil right across the dashboard and resting a book on top and then the phone on top of that? Also, do you have a heated windscreen?

Try unrolling a sheet of tinfoil right across the dashboard and resting a book on top and then the phone on top of that? Also, do you have a heated windscreen?
I do have a heated windscreen.. But as I said the GPS on the iPhone seems fine when the kenwood unit is switched off.. The whole issue seems to have started since I installed the kenwood unit.

Before this I had the bog standard vw head unit none sat nav non apple car play and the iPhone GPS worked as expected. not great as it meant having to mount the phone on my dash and have cable dangling so of course I wanted a wireless apple carplay head unit and a reversing camera etc so I went for the top of the range unit it was also highly recommended by absolute 5 .

Last edited:
Definitely worth trying a different Apple phone.

It’s odd because GPS is a passive thing - our devices just receive satellite signals and determine location from that.
Could you try a super long Apple cable to get the phone as far away from the Kenwood - just to test it ? It is possible the Kenwood is radiating some other interference.

Pete
I've tried having the iPhone as high above the head unit and it's GPS Arial as possible makes no difference.. I've not got anything longer than the standard USB to lightning cable..
One other possibility is the blackview dash and rear camera system... I will switch it off completely and try again

Ok I may have insight after trawling the net I've found a thread on Apple support where many others are complaining of the same issue.. Works fine until connected to head unit etc
It seems that the phone uses the head units GPS(if it has it) to locate position when connected via car play and therefore any issues between head unit and phone will throw up problems like this.. So I'm thinking ok That answers why they both work independently with no issues but the phone is thrown into chaos when connected to head unit.. It's not interference it's an issue with data being received from head unit incorrectly.. I notice that despite incorrect location info the speed I'm travelling is always correct... That's because it receives this info from the VW I know that a fact as I had to wire to the speedo so its getting that correctly but not the GPS data for some reason..I see others having exactly the same issue and as usual apple are not acknowledging any problem.. Next stage is to try an iPhone 11 and see what happens... For f##ks sake

righty ho ... problem seems to be solved. it took me so long due to the fact that the head unit sat nav was not showing any problem with its gps info.
this fact actually got in the way of apple and anyone else from solving the riddle.
BUT it was simply that the gps arial needed to be placed in a better position and voila the iPhone is now getting what seems so far to be very accurate gps info.
I was in apple store for quite some time reporting the problem and there are a lot of posts on apples support pages with other people with very similar if not exact problems and I expect my findings are what the problem is in most cases..the iPhone is just very fussy about its gps signal when it is getting from a 3rd party head unit

so just because a built in sat nav may be getting a good signal... the iPhone is much fussier and needs the best possible positioning for the gps arial in order to show accurate position..

the positive thing is I now have a brand new iPhone X (as Apple could not solve the problem they changed my phone just incase it was causing the issue)

Back