SWB internal bike rack solution

I fitted a rubber floor covering today that’s fixed ad sealed around the edges to some melamine board. On the tailgate end I added an extra flap to cover the bumper. The bike rack is a Thule roof rack mount that’s screwed to a couple of MDF pieces. Eventually, when my caravelle seat is in I’ll make the rack more of a permanent feature.
E0AA2682-CC88-46E7-91FC-50F97AC0D665.jpeg

0AEFDAD8-EC4F-442E-8EE4-B6DAEC0C4F0F.jpeg

B63A7DF4-C028-4789-AFFE-8F12E69F6505.jpeg

Finally got round to fitting / buying a Saris Traps single track bike rack in our Caravelle. It just sits on the floor and no need to fix it down even with just one bike on it, it doesn’t move anywhere. The single seats and table are out but there is still enough leg room in a SWB with the bench seat quite far forward. It was a bit annoying that it came with no fixings even though I bought the genuine saris fork clamps, I picked up some T track bolts and M6 nuts from eBay so all ready for the upcoming Cyclo-cross season and no more muddy bikes banging around.

View attachment 26536

Saris traps in a Caravelle works well, no need to fix it down and no movement even with just 1 bike. No more muddy cross bikes banging around

That’s really neat. I’ve been looking at the saris traps and was considering the triple track but looking at yours I think the single track will be fine. What width is the track?

If you like me don't fancy leaving expensive bikes on a tailgate or tow hitch rack while you dive into a motorway service station or the pub on a weekend away then you might be interested in the system I'm using in my SWB Kombi.

It's not a new idea and can be found as old threads on older generation forums but thought it might be a new idea to some 6'ers.

I'm basically using a pick up truck mount fitted across the tailgate opening. remove the front wheels of the bikes and clamp forks onto mounts which can be positioned along the bar to allow best nesting with the next bike. My set up will easily accommodate 4 bikes behind the second row of seats.

Here's it loaded up with three bikes to wet your appetites:-

View attachment 4735
Morning

I see you are using the Saris Kool I have been using the Bikeinside because it has much greater options for fat bikes and anything with 9mm and 15mm axles boost and even wider.

Its not so great at staying in place and tends to move a bit. I like the Saris as it has a ratchet to apply the pressure which is better than the Bikeinside method. What I would appreciate knowing are the exact size of the Saris cross bar height and width. The Bikeinside can fit any Thule accessory as its 20mmx30mm. Is there any chance you would be able to measure tha Saris Kool bar so that I can check if the Bikeinside mounts would fit. Thanks in advance

Mmm. You guys have got me thinking. Those fittings that bolt through the front forks but difficult to a accommodate boost and non boost, but different bolt diameters. Also there is a danger of either losing your axle bolt or getting grease from it over other stuff en route.

I’m thinking something home made that clamps the back wheel like pushing it into a bike rack. This would work for all wheel widths and sizes, although allowing fatbikes might be a bit of a stretch

Merlin do those through-axle jobbies, a company called Delta.

The ones I got were supposed to fit either 15mm or 20mm forks, but I had to grind the collar down to get them to fit on my Pike forks.

That’s really neat. I’ve been looking at the saris traps and was considering the triple track but looking at yours I think the single track will be fine. What width is the track?
Hi Jon B, that is the 47” version, it was on offer at Halfords a couple of weeks ago. You will need to buy the fixings to mount fork clamps as they do not supply. I bought some T track bolts from EBay and M6 nuts to put it all together. I think the T track bolts had a 30mmX30mm base and they fitted perfectly in the track. The whole lot was about £110 including 3 fork clamps.

I bought the triple as it means I can stagger the bikes so the handlebars can overlap, useful with 3 MTBs. I can get 3 roadies in no problem, without needing to overlap the bars.

Need to sort the fixing again for my Caravelle rails.

Back