SWB internal bike rack solution

Not got my Kombi yet but I plan to use it mostly with the second row removed.
I bike about 3-4 times a week so a solution that is supper quick and easy is my target.
I will try to make one of these babies.

View media item 685
This will mean no need to remove the front wheels and I assume enough room for 3 bike.
As I have ordered 3 seats up front all should be swell.

Full instructions can be found here Make your own Bike Rack
I have quite a wait for the van so won't be trying it soon but will post pictures etc when I do.
@simon The instructions and dimensions are in @ehuplad's second link - Make your own Bike Rack. It is infinitely adaptable to suit your own needs.

@T6 Dave's Dad & @simon it cost a bit more than I expected at £70.

The original design was for 3 bikes but on trialing the construction we relised that while 3 bikes may work in a F150, unless you cut holes in the side of the T6 the bars would not fit with bikes so close to the sides. This means the rack takes two bikes very easily which will be most rides and I will figure how to pack a 3rd later.

We did a lot of testing to get sizes correct as the original plan was for 26 inc wheels also to ensure the rear mechs did not get bent by the rack not to mention tire sizes.

The rack is simply tied to the Komi seat anchors at the front and the eyelets at the back.
I bought some webbing straps to hold the bike in the rack.
It all works a treat.

374A975E-B215-460A-92F6-5370F233EEAF.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

@ehuplad would you be able to get three in if the middle one faced forward ? Another rack at the rear would ensure separation was maintained and could be fastened to the lashing points and by making the rearmost piece extend the full width of the van there would be no lateral movement of rack and bikes. If necessary perhaps the bracing side extensions need not be cemented to make loading and unloading easier.

My son and I are going to give it a go over the half term holiday, as diy is not my thing there will be a lot of trial and error and error and fixing :)

My son and I are going to give it a go over the half term holiday, as diy is not my thing there will be a lot of trial and error and error and fixing :)
@simon, just remember the old adage - measure twice and cut once. Do make sure that cutting the pipe is kept square and always cut the shorter lengths off of a longer piece so that you can brace the pipe and keep fingers clear. If you have a chop saw it is easier to make repeat cuts the same length using the measuring stops. Remember too the thickness of the saw blade so that you cut to the off-cut side of your measured length.

Other than that good luck and I look forward to the photos.

@T6 Dave's Dad - I came across the 3 bike solution while sleeping in the T6 at the weekend.
When I take 3 bikes, remove the rack and put two bike upside down, bars first and a 3rd in the middle upside down bars at the back.
There should be lashing points to tie them down. As the bikes are upside down (bar ends won't smash the glass)the bars can be right up to the edge.
Will give it a try, won't be a easy as using the rack, but I would need 3 bikes less often than 2.

The Beast gets some real world use.
IMG_7991.jpg

@T6 Dave's Dad - I came across the 3 bike solution while sleeping in the T6 at the weekend.
When I take 3 bikes, remove the rack and put two bike upside down, bars first and a 3rd in the middle upside down bars at the back.
There should be lashing points to tie them down. As the bikes are upside down (bar ends won't smash the glass)the bars can be right up to the edge.
Will give it a try, won't be a easy as using the rack, but I would need 3 bikes less often than 2.

The Beast gets some real world use.
View attachment 9061
@ehuplad seems like a plan :thumbsup: because you've got the factory fit lashing points (6 in SWB & 8 in LWB) so worth a go :D

My recent purchase from an EBay supplier, an internal bike rack that bolts into the lashing points. I cost around £90 delivered and I can purchase extra stands to add to it (supplied with 3). My T6 is SWB and by my measurements you'd probably be able to transport bike in LWB without taking the wheels off (shame my budget wouldn't stretch to that)

IMG_5098.JPG The IMG_5096.JPG IMG_5093.JPG IMG_5092.JPG

Hi all, this was my simple solution, the weight of the bikes keeps it in place with no fixings need so i can just whip it out when not needed, also the bikes can drip water, mud and other nasties onto the ply and not my floor :thumbsup:

WP_20170531_09_45_48_Pro.jpg

Nice, you must be a really good rider :whistle:

I sneakily upgraded my bike to Ultegra components last month when the wife was in Prague for two weeks. She hasn't noticed and never will.

Nice, you must be a really good rider :whistle:

I sneakily upgraded my bike to Ultegra components last month when the wife was in Prague for two weeks. She hasn't noticed and never will.
Good for you. Got full Ultegra on mine too.

lol...well spotted and yes worth every penny as they are extremely comfortable and the only bars i use now and i never get numb hand now either....oh there attached to this ;)

WP_20140726_004.jpg

Very nice, my missus loves Wilier Bikes, she has family in Trieste where they first started.

Back