Interior Overhead Roof Console / Cubby Hole Swap

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a shuttle so seem to have the old style overhead thingy (I am sure there is a proper name), like this.

Is it possible to change to the newer style? any benefits to changing to the newer style?
I will be getting a pop top soon so might be a good opportunity to change if it is worth changing it.
Is it a straight forward swap?

Is it entire cab lining or just the center section that needs swapping over?

user113498_pic205754_1438958204.jpg

That looks like same shape as the console used in a Caravelle you would have to change the complete head lining to swap it and there would also be knock on effects...…
You'd have to swap the upper and lower b pillar covers and the upper seat belt fixing points
Maybe the A pillar covers too

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this style of overhead console not specifically house the front sonic sensors for the cat 1 alarm on the Shuttle/Caravelle. Hence the vented design facing into the cabin.

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone know if I can upgrade the overhead console with a sunglasses holder.
img for reference
Thx in advance.

92C173A3-5B7E-4E40-879C-D8C37658DAA7.jpeg

tbh i think the sunglass holder space is there in the normal one..
I’m interested in this. The standard overhead console in a Caravelle (and also fitted in Shuttles) doesn’t have a sunglasses holder and the panels do not move to reveal one. Am I missing something, is there a sunglasses holder already in this console?

no just a flat panel... you can get them for the side handle areas but not seen one as yet for the console..and yet on every other vdub theres one above there..

there is a flat rectangualar panel that must have something on certain models.. i took mine out just to ensure my wiring sat right after my red softlight mod and my lesiure battery switch panel that i fitted in the cubby hole.

Do you know if another VAG holder will fit there? From what I remember in T5 you could add superb holder there (1K0868837C?). I have T6 from 2018 and I'm also interested cause had this in T5 :)

Do you know if another VAG holder will fit there? From what I remember in T5 you could add superb holder there (1K0868837C?). I have T6 from 2018 and I'm also interested cause had this in T5 :)
that wouldn't fit as the edge is curved but i do wonder if a Touareg console would fit. one must be very similar out there.
its a shame to waste so much space with 2 blanking plates and nothing under them.

i'm not saying this will fit, farr from it but there has to be other out there i could fit to replace the current one.
for 2016 the map lights look so old.

this looks close but i'll remove the whole unit and see what i can find after that.

Right, i know the part exists.. iGNore the big red arrow... it's the surround i want as it has a sunglasses holder in it.
found this photo of a ocean or a cali ... anyone able to assist with a part code?

s-l500.jpg

The glasses holder is mounted into the frame. I’m hoping to swap the frame and make a small cut for the auto light sensor.
cost a tenner posted. Worth a go.

The glasses holder is mounted into the frame. I’m hoping to swap the frame and make a small cut for the auto light sensor.
He who dares :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Any updates on the project or have I missed it? Going to install single din android head unit and I need a 50mm drop for the screen to pop up correctly. Currently exploring ideas

Back