Interior Lights always on

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Picked a used panel van.

In the back are 2 LED ceiling lights.

I noticed that when it went dark as I was driving home these lights came on. There were no lights on in the cab above the windscreen.

I cant work out how to switch these off whilst I am driving. I didnt think interior lights were supposed to come be on when moving.

Also the courtesy lights in the cab dont seem to be doing what I would expect.
In the Owner's manual there is a picture of the interior light switch and its a rocker switch. The one in the van is a sliding switch :/

Can anyone help me turn the LEDs in the back of the van off please?

Do you have a picture ?
Not seen a PV with lights having a slider switch normally the whole light fitting is the switch and rocks from side to side to turn on/off

Do you have a picture ?
Not seen a PV with lights having a slider switch normally the whole light fitting is the switch and rocks from side to side to turn on/off

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 18.09.00.png

These are the lights that come on when I unlock the van and stay on till i get out and lock it again:
Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 18.08.47.png

Are you sure they haven’t just been switched on ? The Perspex light cover should sit flush with the surrounding trim to operate with doors, if it’s poking out at one end then it’s manually tuned on

Are you sure they haven’t just been switched on ? The Perspex light cover should sit flush with the surrounding trim to operate with doors, if it’s poking out at one end then it’s manually tuned on

Do you mean the lights in the back? I dont know, I've not touched them. But they go off when I lock the van with the remote and come on when I unlock even though the ones in the cab ceiling stay off.

Yes the rear lights have a rocking action that you can use to make them always on, always off or activated by doors
Im guessing yours are switched to always on but interior lighting circuit times out when you lock the van to stop you getting a flat battery

Thanks they do rock. I will put them in different positions to see what happens. :)

If they are factory LEDs (see picture in the link Interior Lighting Query) there is no switch o_O.
Any open door would turn the lights on - also the cabin lights if you move the slider switch (by cabin lights) to position "doors"

Just been out to investigate more.

All 3 courtesy lights, 1 in the cab and 2 in the van roof will either be completely off (in the 0 position) or on all the time wilts the van is unlocked. They do not time out and do not go out when the engine is running and van is being driven.

Try turning them to a different position, strangely mine are opposite, I think in the off position they come on when the door is open and go off again when doors closed and engine starts

The rear lights have 3 positions, the middle position (light cover sitting flat with frame at both ends) should be only on when doors are open ?

It does look like someone has messed with them and put LED panels inside them this may not be helping ?

The rear lights have 3 positions, the middle position (light cover sitting flat with frame at both ends) should be only on when doors are open ?

It does look like someone has messed with them and put LED panels inside them this may not be helping ?

Thats how I thought they should work, but in the middle position they stay on all the time when van is unlocked.

Would these affect how the 'cab' interior lights work? I cant see how they are stopping those working properly either.

Try turning them to a different position, strangely mine are opposite, I think in the off position they come on when the door is open and go off again when doors closed and engine starts

Thanks, I've tried this, in the off position they do stay off all the time. (all 3 lights).

Update to this:

I've been trying to figure this out today.
With the cab roof courtesy light switch to the right (so I can see the pic of van with door open) then as long as the LED nearest the Tailgate is switched off then the cab lights and the front LED work as I would expect. (time out after approx 20s and also go out with the ignition)
However if I switch the rear LED into the centre or right position then the lights will not time out or switch off with the ignition.

Any ideas please as this has really puzzled me.

Back