Interior LED strip faded and gone yellow

AlanG1975

Does anyone know why my interior LED strip has gone yellow (well almost an orangy-browny colour really)? The output is really dull and barely noticeable now too - they used to be bright, white light. Other interior lights remain unchanged so I don't think it's a power or battery issue. The van is a little over a year old and the LED's have hardly been used - could this be a contributor?

Can this be fixed or does it need replacing?

IMG_1458.jpg

I've noticed this on the led strips that are encased on plastic. Over time the plastic goes yellow and brittle. Only way round it is to replace. This is the stuff I'm on about

Tape_Photo-1.jpg

Thanks @Deaky, I've just taken another look and worked out how to remove the cover (had assumed it was a sealed unit of some kind - it isn't) The lighting strip sticks on and plugs in at one end. So I think I'll try getting some new LED strip as per your pic and just replace it.

Thanks @Deaky, I've just taken another look and worked out how to remove the cover (had assumed it was a sealed unit of some kind - it isn't) The lighting strip sticks on and plugs in at one end. So I think I'll try getting some new LED strip as per your pic and just replace it.
If you're going to replace it then use the IP20 strip. This has no plastic cover on it.

In addition, LEDs also do degrade over time and the output decreases, especially if they’re driven too hard or have become overheated.

Back