Interior Grab handle colour

nickg77

T6 Pro
Hi folks, part way through a systematic interiors upgrade (ie from a van to something a bit more plush)

one thing I assumed was a given and more fool me was the a pillar grab handles to be available in a dark grey or black colour!

vW have said they don’t do them. Equally so the seat belt top caps. Anyone had any joy in finding alternatives or success in painting or wrapping these? My a pillar and headlining etc are all in the middle of becoming dark grey alcantara.

Texxaco

T32 DSG on ABP 3H Air remapped to 257PS
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi folks, part way through a systematic interiors upgrade (ie from a van to something a bit more plush)

one thing I assumed was a given and more fool me was the a pillar grab handles to be available in a dark grey or black colour!

vW have said they don’t do them. Equally so the seat belt top caps. Anyone had any joy in finding alternatives or success in painting or wrapping these? My a pillar and headlining etc are all in the middle of becoming dark grey alcantara.
I have done all of mine in high gloss black to match the piano black.
If you can wait till tomorrow I will send over some pics.

Gazbadge

VIP Member
T6 Pro

VW are telling porky pies, You can get black ones. I have some fitted in mine. I'll get a pic for you tomorrow and part numbers for the handle and the front cap piece. It might be that they don't have one specified for transporters but they are definitely the same. I had to buy 2 drivers side handles and flip round for the passenger side as I couldn't source a passenger one at the time. It will leave the small slot for removing the cap piece at the top and visible, doesn't bother me but might annoy others. You will have to cut some plastic lugs off the back to allow the drivers side to flip round and fit the passenger side other than that you would never know. I'll whip them off tomorrow and show you what I mean in some pics.

nickg77

T6 Pro
Mate that’s awesome - thank you so much ! I was really perplexed at VW as I thought I’d seen ! Thanks again really appreciated

Texxaco

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have done all of mine in high gloss black to match the piano black.
If you can wait till tomorrow I will send over some pics.
Pics as promised. Added another pic of the tailgate wiper motor plastic cover in gloss black also.
I find rubbing the parts down with 800 wet and dry then spraying them with two coats then wet and dry with 1500 grit. Then cut and polish them equals mirror finish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Texxaco

VIP Member
T6 Legend
They are red, ignore @JOG as he says they are pink. Cheeky sod!

i saw them on AliExpress yesterday although mine are from Customvanz.

Gazbadge

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Mate that’s awesome - thank you so much ! I was really perplexed at VW as I thought I’d seen ! Thanks again really appreciated

For your perusal...

Notice the notch on show at the top of the passenger side handle, as I mentioned, this is a flipped round drivers handle (couldn't find, or they don't make a passenger handle in black). And a pic showing which tabs to remove if you do end up flipping a drivers side over.

20210223_083308.jpg

20210223_083259.jpg

20210223_083434.jpg

20210223_184954.jpg

20210223_174905.jpg

20210223_174659.jpg

Gazbadge

VIP Member
T6 Pro

The seat belt caps are also available in black but they are £26 each from a guy on ebay.
They're a doddle to remove and paint, (pic of mine below) I'd save your money but here's the link to them anyway.

20210223_175042.jpg

Gazbadge

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi @Texxaco how did you do your sunvisors black?
My Mrs is going to cover mine in fake suede with her sewing machine skills unless you tell me there's a better way...

Texxaco

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I sprayed them with black Plastikote super Gloss, they end up being semi gloss.

I like them and I can easily cleaned dirt mits off them unlike suede. That the only reason mine aren’t suede like my A pillars.

Graeme_B

VIP Member
T6 Guru
@Gazbadge @Texxaco looking good!

Once my van comes back from convertors I'm thinking about setting about the cab.

If you don't mind, how do you go about getting such good finish with the alcatara around the a pillar tweeter? Cheers