Insurance - What Do You Pay?

GoatBoater

Senior Nerd
T6 Guru
Just got my first quote for insurance post modification. Seems pricey. £490 / yr with max no claims at 9+ years. That compares with £290/year that I was for the same van when it was panel and couldn't apply the no claims discount.

Going to do a little more shopping around to firms I have seen mentioned here, but wondered how that compared.

I've just paid £550 to renew via C&CC Club Care - I have full no claims but as this is on other vehicles I could not use, hence only 1 year's no claims now applied. This was significantly more than I paid last year but I have decided to leave where it is for now. As above, values as a camper are significantly more than a panel van. (I insured with a value of £48k last year and have left as the same) I did get a quote from Caravan Guard as well and with introductory bonus, etc. this came out at little over £400, but I still decided to leave where it is for now.

This question comes up a lot on various forums, it all depends on your location, age and value.

:p

I've gone with Brentacre. Frankly I got bored with talking to insurers! (no offence @PukkaT6 - I'm sure you are different!). Quote was OK and cover sounded good. Some of their terms around credit and cancellation are a bit draonian though. I'll definitely shop around a bit more before renewal time.

In november we are going live with an insurance broker - Freedom Brokers

Im hoping one of our panel members will be able to offer you guys competitive rates. Along with all the usual add ons, they do three things that I think will apply to this forum

They offer up to 17 years NCB discount (most insurers stop adding ncb after 7 years)

They allow modifications

They insure all ages from 21 upto 75 so great if you want sons/daughter/parents on policy or simply if you are a more senior citizen ;)

We are using the latest systems that mean changes can be made to cover easily and efficiently online in most instances and with minimal ‘admin fees’.

Once we are live I would appreciate it if I could test our products on a few of you to ensure we are quoting competitively.

The best thing is that if you do get a cheap quote and decide to choose us, you know that we have excellent taste in vans and the same high standards as yourselves ;)

Watch this space.

Im hoping one of our panel members will be able to offer you guys competitive rates. Along with all the usual add ons, they do three things that I think will apply to this forum

They offer up to 17 years NCB discount (most insurers stop adding ncb after 7 years)

They allow modifications

They insure all ages from 21 upto 75 so great if you want sons/daughter/parents on policy or simply if you are a more senior citizen ;)

We are using the latest systems that mean changes can be made to cover easily and efficiently online in most instances and with minimal ‘admin fees’.

Once we are live I would appreciate it if I could test our products on a few of you to ensure we are quoting competitively.

The best thing is that if you do get a cheap quote and decide to choose us, you know that we have excellent taste in vans and the same high standards as yourselves ;)

Watch this space.
Ill be a test pilot monkey! Would be amazing if driving courses/skills could be taken into consideration by an insurer as well!

Its all to do with the rules in place when you write policies. Different rules have different weightings, so basically you could have the best driving record but if you live in an area which has alot of claims/fraud then it will potentially count for nothing.

There are literally thousands of rules that can be taken into consideration. Each insurer sets there own according to the type of business they wish to write.

Had a quote from Brentacre for a panel van, allowing modifications (will be a kombi at some point) as long as don't modify the engine £380 full no claims.

I'm committed now, but I'll happily provide details for a comparative quote @PukkaT6 . 17 years NCB sounds good. Brentacre counted 9 of my 18

They allow modifications

Watch this space.
Yeah you can quote me now mate

Caravelle insurance was 680 with 10 years plus ncd. High price is due to it being a 7 seat vehicle apparently. I said I would remove the middle two seats but the insurer wasn’t interested

Caravelle insurance was 680 with 10 years plus ncd. High price is due to it being a 7 seat vehicle apparently. I said I would remove the middle two seats but the insurer wasn’t interested
Sounds steep, £390 at co-op for my Exec with £250 excess protected ncd policy

£315 for modified panel van (wheels, windows, towbar, roof bars and disclosed planned mods of roof spoiler and captains passenger seat), £250 excess, inc NC protection, legal cover, replacement vehicle......
I guess living in the sticks helps keep the price down.

£519 with Brentacre on a T32 Highline Kombi 150, with business use and I work in a "high risk" industry.

Back