Insurance - What Do You Pay?

2016 180 ps SWB Highline camper conversion valued at 45K, parked on street. Only 1 year NCB on van but 10 years on car (mirrored?) 57 years young and sole driver.
European driving and legal cover included. No commuting.
£650.00 from Brentacre underwritten by Markerstudy. £65 quid of that was for Brentacres brokerage.
I tried other companies but found that it was difficult to get the conversion and model of van correct in the details, this made me cautious. Brentacre were very easy to deal with.

Thumbs up from me for Brentacre
No charge for changing my policy details (change of reg plate)
Also can mod the van with no extra charges unless Bhp increase
not made a claim yet so can’t comment on that.

Reactions: DXX
getting quotes from £340 brentacre and A plan etc direct line £600 biggest problem is the classification of vehicle, the 8 seat configuration doesn't help unmodified £320 with mainstream insurers everything on the vehicle are genuine vw accessories fitted at dealer. My only concern us the underwriters reviews when you have issues.

Mine is underwritten by markerstudy too, as was the £299 quote I got from Adrian Flux, without keycover or legal!
But ouch, that's a big chunk of change @DXX

It is the most I’ve ever paid to insure a vehicle but at least the premium is coming down from last year!
I did try negotiating with Brentacre but I get the feeling they’ve heard it all before....a case of take it or leave it.
Having dealt with Lisbon rush hour traffic a few times and a few near misses with pissed up drivers on rural roads it doesn’t seem so bad.

Just finally sorted my insurance 2016 shuttle 150 auto 8 seater with side bars and spoiler with my original insurers Hastings. I spent an hour on the phone explaining genuine optional accessories vs modifications and they finally gave in and honoured my original quote. It can be long winded but does pay sometimes. £430 fully comp protected ncb legal cover etc etc.

Got some advice..and used a price comparison site..but only got a quote for my standard van.
12 yrs ncb, no points, no claims. £313 fully comp. Called Admiral up..and asked them to re quote me..but add on Alloy wheels..new suspension kit, ARB, Spoiler & front splitter. New price £333 for the year. Cheapest i got before..was through Brentacre at £440..Result!!

1 years NCB, £290 with A plan, renewal with one call was £255 but I wanted to move to a mod friendly company.

Over 50 in low risk postcode.

£404 - Fully comp with zero voluntary excess, max £150 compulsory excess with Safeguard for '19 converted T30 150DSG Highline Kombi. 10yrs+ NCB.

1 years NCB, £290 with A plan, renewal with one call was £255 but I wanted to move to a mod friendly company.

Over 50 in low risk postcode.

How do you know the risk attached to a particular postcode? (not meant to sound flippant - Its a genuine question)

+1 for Brentacre.

£690 fully comp with £350 excess - free to add modifications that don't significantly increase value or increase bhp, the comparison sites were closer to £800 - some well over.

That including 6 expired but still declareable points, 1 non-fault accident and 1 pheasent related incident.

The van is a 6 seater but the chap on the phone suggested that the cost wouldn't change on 5 vs 6 seats, the comparison site prices definitely did go up between 5 and 6 seats.

They also mirrored my company 3 claim free years.

Really pleasent dealings so thumbs up from me.

I have rang a few companies and it's coming out at £400 - £500, my area is D (so not great but not terrible).

Beyond asking what the purchase price was (which of course includes the conversion as it's bought from the professional converter as new as possible) they're not really asking much about the insides beyond assessing it has camper-van like stuff. I assume when I make a claim - say int a disaster scenario the market value will be for a camper van of age and miles not just a T6 of age and miles?

Just renewed mine with A plan, down from £355 last year to £315 this year, mainly cause I dont need business cover anymore and I no longer work in motor trade. That's 2 named drivers and 10k per annum. I didn't bother looking around as A plan seem to be very easy to deal with on modifications.

Phoned Adrian Flux for a quote for a 2016 4Motion today. First quote from them on the phone was for £442. I said that was too high and I would expect it to be far lower. The guy then put me on hold for a while and came back with £383.

( No points, 9 yrs NCB, Mid 40's in a low crime post code in Scotland )

I then tried GoCompare which threw up Admiral @ £283. I then called them and told them I'm not a business owner (which Go Compare seemed to assume all van owners were judging by their online questions). As a consequence, my quote came down to £283 ( social and commuting )

Moral of the story - shop around and don't be afraid to try comparison sites. Seemingly Admiral will entertain some mods down the line assuming you call them up and notify them. I presume their would be a charge for remaps and such like...

I am with LV and last year was £380 but it went up £40 when I informed them about the mods. I’m going to give them a call and ask them if something was to happen to the van, would they pay the price the vehicle is worth with all the mods ( day van) or just what the van was when it was built, a panel can.

Phone call to my insurer, they state that they would pay the value of the van at the current time however any mods would have to be discussed with the claims team, so if I’ve spent 11k on getting it done to my spec I’m not guaranteed to get that back. That’s food for thought.

I then tried GoCompare which threw up Admiral @ £283. I then called them and told them I'm not a business owner (which Go Compare seemed to assume all van owners were judging by their online questions). As a consequence, my quote came down to £283 ( social and commuting )

Moral of the story - shop around and don't be afraid to try comparison sites. Seemingly Admiral will entertain some mods down the line assuming you call them up and notify them. I presume their would be a charge for remaps and such like...

Admiral for me to... £286 then went up £20 for the year when I added £20K of mods on.... Ghost and S7 tracker fitted

Back