Insurance Policies For A Van To Camper Conversion

Guy

Phase 1 Complete
I am in the process of purchasing a transporter to convert into a camper. My question, what is the best way to insure it? i have a van quote £240 but as soon as i put a pop top on it or change the wheels etc etc i will have to change the insurance as the van will be classed as 'modified'. Have you any advice on insurance companies that will insure the van without having to change the policy every time i modify a part of it?
Thanks in advance

Insurance Companies

I'm with Adrian flux, they insured me as a panel van and included my extras as I converted it to a camper.

Have a browse through the insurance section as there are numerous threads on this topic.
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

A-Plan do a conversion policy, which covers you as you convert the van to a camper.

Pete

Reactions: Guy
I’m with Adrian Flux as they were the only people that would cover the value of the van. They provided a “van in conversion” policy. I’d rate them as “average” as an insurance company.

We were in same position as you. We used Adrian Flux - insurance started as cover for panel van - when converted we phoned them to advise of change and thus insurance amended accordingly - there was an admin fee.

However, we had big arguments with them - they advised us price should change very little as although value was going up risk was going down. Policy went up circa £300 - they listened to original recordings and admitted this was the advice given - so reduced the price to pretty much the same - what they didn't tell us was they'd applied a large excess (circa £400) to get the price lower. Toing and froing and eventually threat of ombudsman got excess reduced.

At renewal time it's a lot easier as of course you're just renewing as Campervan so can shop around etc.

Just Kampers also do a conversion policy. Allows you a year to do the build and conversion.

Cheers for the replies, i will try the above options and let you know how i get on. Thanks

I'm with A-plan.

Have been for years.

Commercial, panel van, fully comp, insurance.

hi all
I rang JustKampers, A plan and Herts all about the same £275-330 but A plan have no ammendment fee for non camper related stuff ie. wheels suspension body kit etc.
haven't got the van yet but will probably go with A plan.
cheers
Guy

One insurance solutions Torquay. Second time I’ve used them and they give 3 months to convert. Noproblems last time and new policy taken out today. Not cheap for me but nobody else is either. It’s vehicle no 6 in the fleet..

A Plan, Thatcham Branch worked out well with me, Ask for Fraser there. He knew his stuff and was very helpful. He quoted me cheaper than my current insurer and that was adding to the value of the van also and not charging any more for modifications i do to the van throughout the year.

A Plan, Thatcham Branch worked out well with me, Ask for Fraser there. He knew his stuff and was very helpful. He quoted me cheaper than my current insurer and that was adding to the value of the van also and not charging any more for modifications i do to the van throughout the year.

Hi lone wolf, do you mind if I ask what they quoted you? I’ve recently had a quote from A plan which was £560?

Yeah no probs, it was £650 all in with my Dad and my girlfriend on there. My postcode doesn’t help as in Romford which is twinned with the Bronx. Wasn’t going to insure the girlfriend on it but queried it after finishing the quote and said they would throw it in so see what you can get. She’s never allowed to drive it though :sneaky:

Hi everyone just gone with Brentacre, fantastic service and got a great deal as I am still converting, fully comp and all the bells and whistles £390.00

I'm about to call about so so far we've got
1) Adrian Flux - feedback a bit dodgy
2) Brentacre
3) A-Plan (Thatcham)
4) Just Kampers
Any others to add to the list?

NFU Mutual, was by far the best deal for me a few days ago.
Watch out for the default addition of protected NCB charge, you can request this is removed.
I would also send them details of the modifications.

I'm about to call about so so far we've got
1) Adrian Flux - feedback a bit dodgy
2) Brentacre
3) A-Plan (Thatcham)
4) Just Kampers
Any others to add to the list?
It took a couple of days to get a quote from NFU as they are working from home.
I’m glad to say that NFU were cheaper than Brentacre and Caravan & Motorhome Club, just watch out for the default inclusion of protected NCB on the premium, I removed it and saved about 59 quid.
Without going into the full details of the cover here’s a comparison.
Fully comp, 45K, parked on street, clean licence, more than 9 years NCB (mirrored), crusty and retired, Legal Cover, European Cover.

Brentacre; 625 inc 65 fee, limits on European trip length.
Caravan & Motorhome Club; 464 plus membership is approx 518.
NFU; 404, 365 day European cover, no voluntary excess other 50 for glass.
Needless to say I’m going for NFU.
As a bonus they also came top of the Which ratings for motor insurance.

I’m lucky to live in a good postcode area for insurance (West Wales). Brand new Kombi before conversion with Admiral was £240. After conversion was only up by £30 to £270. Very easy process over the phone. from me for Admiral.

Back