Insurance after conversion

pematthe

I bought my T6 Kombi in May 2019 with the intention getting it professionally converted. Originally insured with DirectLine on a commercial policy with myself (Full UK license, Uk since birth many years etc) and my partner (Full EU license, 3 year UK resident clean lic) for about £460 per year.

When the went van in for conversion, I was told by DL they wouldn't insure it any more as campers don't fit into their commercial van policy. As the conversion is nearing completion I am looking around for a camper policy and hit a very strange set of rules!

With just me on the policy I am getting a similar yearly premium - from £350 to £450 per year. As soon as I add my partner on the premium sky-rockets to over £1000 or the companies refuse to quote. Apparently there's this crazy notion that, even though she's already been driving the van, that because as her UK residency is less than 5 years, they won't touch insuring her on a camper.

Is this right? Anyone else come across this crazy rule?

I have the same prob with my t6 tried to get v5 changed,cnt do anything at the moment with this lockdownas showroom closed, but my dealer did say they heard things are going to change in may regarding these,anyone else heard

Back