Insurance After A Ban

djcbilly

I’ve just finished a six month ban under the totting up rules (minor speeding offences). My wife’s multi-vehicle policy now won’t touch me and nor will my camper insurers. I’ve had to pay over 2k on the car and I’m getting some proper ludicrous quotes on the van, despite me stating I’ll only use it max 30 days per year. Has anyone been down this route and landed somewhere sensible?

I'm guessing your points are now cleared. Its a strange one.

I went from zero points to ban in 1 photograph.

When I told my insurance after the ban was up they asked how many points I had and had to go ask his manager when I said none.
The reply was it doesn't make any difference to the insurance if I had no points.

Insurance is a black art though.

" Black art" you bet.

I had the renewal through for my Kombi, queried the price and confirmed it was their best deal.
I then noticed they had not changed my private plate. They ( a plan) then requoted and it came back £ 37 CHEAPER !!!

Black art = total racket....got zero no claims (was previously on my wife’s multi car policy) despite 10 years incident free, am teetotal 50 year old accountant, van off-road in a safe postcode, 0nly used couple of weeks in summer plus a few weekends, shows, tip runs etc, and I’m being quoted £1,500....gonna have to get rid if I can’t half that.

" Black art" you bet.

I had the renewal through for my Kombi, queried the price and confirmed it was their best deal.
I then noticed they had not changed my private plate. They ( a plan) then requoted and it came back £ 37 CHEAPER !!!
The broker you used wanted double the price I eventually paid (same underwriters as well).

For me they were the cheapest, £317 modified policy on a T32 Lwb 204 Kombi 4M. Full business use and 10k miles.

Speaking through experience :cry: try Adrian Flux. They specialize in these situations.

Hmmm....at the risk of bucking the trend.....

I was banned a number of years ago, pre van era of my life, for sure! I was with a non-indirect linear type insurer for many moons. Renewal came up mid-ban and numpties couldn’t get their head around that I had a valuable lump of metal on my drive that I needed to insure, regardless of whether I was allowed to drive it on the public highway or not.

Off to the screen-scraping comparison websites I went and literally halved my insurance. I was so surprised, I rang the cheapest to confirm that the comparison site had actually passed through the ban code.

Needless to say, I changed insurer. I am so cynical about insurers now, I reckon they’d try to wriggle out if you failed to declare a broken fingernail!!!

Back