Insulation ?

Buggirl

DJ VdubRadio
VIP Member
T6 Legend
so whilst I was away in my Kombi in September I had that much condensation I thought I had a leak! My T5 was fully converted to a campervan so had insulation and lining, so never had any issues. With my Kombi I want to keep original as possible so want to keep the VW panels inside but wondered if insulating behind them would stop the condensation. Let me know your thoughts and recomendations. Thanks

so whilst I was away in my Kombi in September I had that much condensation I thought I had a leak! My T5 was fully converted to a campervan so had insulation and lining, so never had any issues. With my Kombi I want to keep original as possible so want to keep the VW panels inside but wondered if insulating behind them would stop the condensation. Let me know your thoughts and recomendations. Thanks

That's interesting Buggirl.......I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just go for a lineout? Mine's booked in for a full sound deadening/insulation/lighting and lineout.......and some pretty minor electrical work......oooh, and a table, next month. Basically, just a comfortable day van kind of spec. I too considered the wisdom of all this with any potential warranty problems or resale issues......but in reality I can't imagine either of those concerns will come back to bite me. I would image you're still going to suffer some condensation issues.......much reduced though.......because there'll still be some exposed metal work. Whatever you do, so long as it makes you happy, that's the important thing. Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Might be worth noting that our California which is VERY well insulated and double glazed (all glass behind the cab) still gets condensation on the front windows - but none of the others.
Which windows were affected?

Is it maybe worth trying a couple of the de-humidifier boxes that contain a desiccant which are used on window sills and cupboards etc?

Bottom line, if outdoor temp is a good few degrees lower than the internal temp, which is also humid because of breath etc, then in an uninsulated van, you are going to get condensation.

Might be worth noting that our California which is VERY well insulated and double glazed (all glass behind the cab) still gets condensation on the front windows - but none of the others.
Would one of those silver insulated interior screen cover/blind thingies prevented it??

Would one of those silver insulated interior screen cover/blind thingies prevented it??
I don't think it would. I think external ones are more effective but it's more to clean and lug around. Two minutes of window blasting from the heater and it's cleared. Or if you're in a real hurry, wipe it with an MF cloth!

Thanks for all your comments on this. Just to clarify a couple of points, I had silver screens on all windows when I went away and expect it on the Windows, but I am talking about what looked like a leak running from behind various panels in the rear of the van. I initially thought it was coming from the awning rail not being fitted right. The awning rail is fitted to the existing roof rail bolts in the roof guttering. Problem is that it can't be as surely when I wash the van or we have heavy rain I would see it now, so can only assume it was condensation build up behind the panels?!?

Very interesting post as condensation behind panels can presumably lead to corrosion risk with pooling water at the base of panels. Question is, what insulation solves this.....does natural wool rot?, and if not properly comprehensive in application, cold spots and concentrated condensation can occur...does this favour foam insulation that gets into all the nooks and crannies? As a newbie with a van on order I find many of these threads very informative.

Very interesting post as condensation behind panels can presumably lead to corrosion risk with pooling water at the base of panels. Question is, what insulation solves this.....does natural wool rot?, and if not properly comprehensive in application, cold spots and concentrated condensation can occur...does this favour foam insulation that gets into all the nooks and crannies? As a newbie with a van on order I find many of these threads very informative.
Hello and welcome! Glad you find things informative. Since this thread I found out I hadn't fitted awning rail properly and roof was leaking! I am going with the option from a lace called Harrison's trim. I will be doing this job in new year. I will then report back!

Any progress Buggirl? Anyone filled hollow area (frames, beams etc) with foam, or just stuffed with quilt of some sort?

Exactly like that!!! Is it effective from an acoustic and thermal point of view? More to the point, any drawbacks (e.g. With cabling) and would you insulate with foam again? Thank you.....I am seriously considering foam insulation, so your experience is hugely valuable to me.

Kept the cables out the way and foamed all that could be done. Acoustically the van feels well quiet and solid. Foam doesn't absorb water, so goto be better than anything else. Major motorhome companies all use foam and most caravan builders do too.

Thank you, very interesting.....wonder why it's so rare with van converters?

I didn't think they insulated the California's?

Back