Insulation Query

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by Steve H, 17 Mar 2019 at 13:37.

1. Steve H

Steve H Excited Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Currently halfway through some soundproofing on the left hand side of the van, but having a mind wrestle regarding the rear lower quarter area.

There are several plastic wiring boxes attached in that area which could be controllers of some sort, and I'm loathe to stuff Dodo insulation down there if heat dissipation is an issue. The side wall fibreboard also has a large holed area around there when fitted back, too.

What's the considered opinion on whether it's safe to use insulation down there or not..? fullsizeoutput_29e2.jpeg

2. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Not an answer, but I'm in the middle of doing mine and while I was sat in the van yesterday in the pouring rain, I spotted water leaking in through two of the rivnuts used to hold the sliding door rail on, and a couple of leaks that must be from the roof rail bolts up above, one above the drivers door and one at the left rear. I wouldn't have spotted any of these if I'd either not taken the headlining off or had the ply lining off for so long so check before covering them over permanently.

Dellmassive likes this.
  3. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    The two boxes on the bracket are control modules for power latching on your side door and tailgate
    They are glorified relays and simply reverse the polarity to the latching motor when the door is opening/closing, they only energise for approx 2 seconds so nowhere near long enough to generate any heat or dissipation to be a consideration

Cherokee likes this.
  4. Steve H

Steve H Excited Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear @Pauly

Thanks buddy.

Pauly likes this.
  5. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass 150 DSG Kombi/Caravelle Highline VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I have done mine with dynamat and dodo themo fleese . I did not cover any of the boxes as i managed to get it all behind them neatly.

20181026_121456.jpg

6. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I’ve never seen that black panel before - I take it that’s some kind of Caravelle panel for mounting speakers?

7. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass 150 DSG Kombi/Caravelle Highline VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Correct

Ads_Essex likes this.