Installing 12v Socket

Kingy89

Hi, I’m hoping one or two of you can help me out with adding a 12v cigarette lighter socket in the cargo area.

I’ve got a T6 Startline and want a socket in the rear that is only live when the ignition is on/engine running. I’ve heard of piggyback fuses but not sure what I need and where to connect it to?

There are a few threads covering this kind of install.. you could pick up from the front fuse holder in lower dash and run your +from there and ground in rear quarter panel

We would need more info to help i.e. what sort of T6 do you have, where abouts is the socket going, do you have a leisure battery etc etc

Pete

As above,

You need to run an appropriate size cable to the rear socket location, either 2core or 1core+body ground.

You need to fuse the cable at the source with the appropriate rated fuse.

As a guide the 12v socket would be down rated to 10Amp.

Suitable cable to the length required may be 0.75mm or 1mm or 1.5mm, or larger.

Ie choose a cable that can handle 15A over the run length but downsize the fuse to 10A to protect the cable.

Connect the fused cable to either:
Starter battery, (engine bay)
Ignition supply, (central glove box under dash)
Leisure battery, (under front seat/s if fitted)

Be mindful not to leave things plugged in that will drain the battery flat and damage it.

If you needed more power/current or more sockets, the the supply cable/fuse needs to be increased accordingly. Or just run multiple feeds out to various sockets all separate with separate fuses Etc.

12v Igntn Feed + 5xusb Charging From Ign Feed - Today's Install
12v Aux Feed + 5xusb Charging From Aux Battery - Today's Install

Last edited:
I’ll be fitting a couple in the rear for kids to use. I was planning a couple of normal sockets as the USB ones can draw current when not in use ( 12v to 5v reduction electronics). Planning to use one of the spare slots in the fuse box below the gear lever. The middle fuses are switched lives and there are spares with a live connector that you can use a piggy back connector in OR insert a connector from the back into the fuse board.

This must be covered elsewhere, but I can't find it.

I'd like to add a 12V feed to the back of our Kombi for short term loads like a pump or similar. I'm going to be removing inerior panels to carpet it out so wondered how best to route wiring for a 12V socket in the back. Are there any easily accessed locations in the cab to find a 12V feed from which I can run a fused connection to the back of the van?

Thanks.

I have a 12v socket just forward of the nearside D pillar, used for shower and pumped fill of underslung water tank.
The OEM wiring harness runs through the roof on the nearside, there is no requirement to follow this but it keeps everything in the same place. Connection will depend on if you want to use a leisure battery or the van battery.

VIP membership will get you access to the fuse diagrams, earth points and much more.

There is a small fuse box under your passenger seat, you can add your new circuit to that.

Hi

I’ve purchased 2 x flush usb sockets to fit in the B pillar. Where do I wire these back to please ? Amateur as you can tell

thank you everyone

Hi

I’ve purchased 2 x flush usb sockets to fit in the B pillar. Where do I wire these back to please ? Amateur as you can tell

thank you everyone
Back to your 12v fuse board, which would be powered from your leisure battery, which would be charged from your DC-DC charger / solar panel.

Or just from a spare fused outlet on your cabin fusebox, if you’re happy that you won’t flatten your battery by leaving something plugged in to it.

See this thread:

Back