Install AC to middle and rear seats in Shuttle

nibbit106

Hi all, I’ve recently bought a T6 shuttle (9 seater) with AC, not knowing that the AC doesn’t actually reach the middle or rear rows of seats, which in summer makes it a greenhouse on wheels - not so great for my kids.

Is there a workable solution for modifying/changing anything to allow cold air flow to extend to the middle and rear row of seats??

Please let me know, as I’ve just spent money I don’t really have and I feel like we now can’t use this for our intended purpose (travelling abroad in hot countries)

Please help! Thank you

Could you retro fit the original OEM system some how? My Shuttle has the rear aircon upgrade running through the roof, same as the California I think.

Hi all, I’ve recently bought a T6 shuttle (9 seater) with AC, not knowing that the AC doesn’t actually reach the middle or rear rows of seats, which in summer makes it a greenhouse on wheels - not so great for my kids.

Is there a workable solution for modifying/changing anything to allow cold air flow to extend to the middle and rear row of seats??

Please let me know, as I’ve just spent money I don’t really have and I feel like we now can’t use this for our intended purpose (travelling abroad in hot countries)

Please help! Thank you
I’ve recently got a Shuttle with no AC to the rear and have been pondering the same question as you... however with the last few days of 30c heat we have had no complaints from the kids and actually after 30 mins they were asking for the front AC to be turned down! Granted it will never be as good as proper AC in the rear.

Is your front AC working properly? Maybe it is worth getting it regassed to so if that helps first?

It’s worth mentioning that I also got the rear windows tinted which stops quite a bit of sunlight heating up the rear of the van. I did this for privacy and looks but there is a big benefit in that it will heat up less.

We’ve just got aircon in the front and if you open windows to clear the initial hot air, then close them, the AC soon cools everything down to a comfortable level.

We have the auxiliary hot air heater in the back (8 seat window van) and having that fan on full helps circulate the air albeit has no air con! I bet your shuttle has this too.

Ian

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I bought the van with windows already tinted so I have that benefit.

The one thing I noticed that made a difference, was actually turning off the middle and rear fans as this was warming up the cold air from the AC at the front. Admittedly we weren’t driving for a long period of time so I am hoping your suggestion of clearing the air and just leaving the front on full wack for a bit would help.

I’m just concerned about driving to the south of France in killer weather and it not being enough (I don’t have the side windows for backup oxygen either)

Someone on another group I’m on took a picture of his van and he had vents in the pillars (behind first row of seats) which I wondered could possibly be fitted aftermarket, and draw cold air via a pipe or something through these, so that at least the middle row gets something???

Yes guessing an after market fit. Is your van got limo dark tint?

You should be fine with just the front aircon. Our camper has this, and we have had no issues keeping the whole van cool in Southern Europe.
Unless of course you have all the seats occupied !

Pete

To add to this, once you have your air con blowing cold, press the recirculate button so that the system is cooling already cooled air, rather that having to cool warm air brought in from outside.

Back