Infotainment system - could do with some advice

rmo69

T32 204 Kombi LWB
T6 Pro
So VW called today to say at long last my replacement kombi is ready to pick up. The good news is they were able to recover my alloys and satnav from my rejected van that they sold (apparently the guy who was buying it bailed out I wonder if he did some digging) BUT they want the old infotainment from that van as its chassis specific apparently. Thing is I sold it on eBay and they say they won't give me my new van until I provide them with something to go in the old one. I'll be damned if they're having mine, and the price of a new one from VW is obscene. Any of you bright sparks got any suggestions?

What headunit do you need ?
Plenty of people have upgraded headunits so I'm sure there are people on here who have VW units sat in their sheds/garages or failing that pro installers like @Absolut5 may be able to sell you a second hand one ?

VW say the infotainment system on the T6 is chassis specific and they won't accept a jail broken one? I'm dead stuck.

Contact your eBay buyer, he may be having issues coding it and happy to return?

If it's a chassis specific unit then the one you sold won't work, have you tried contacting the buyer and seeing if you can buy it back ?

Have you told the dealer you sold it ?
If not I would buy the cheapest one you can find and hand it to them

Just get another of eBay and claim ignorance if by some chance they don't get it working

They are chassis dependent, so all these buyers on eBay must be getting stuck... I'm afraid I don't have one as a hole filler

Apparently you can jailbreak them, but VW won't accept that, looks like I might have to buy the cheapest head unit I can buy. This sucks....

What head unit is it and what's the cost of a new replacement versus the price of your upgraded sat nav unit ?

Tell them to f*^k off. It was never the deal for them to sell your kit in the first place. The van was rejected due to it being a dog. If anything hand them the cheapest factory unit you can find off eBay. Don't install it, throw it at the head of the head of sales. There are VW, it's their head unit, if it needs recoding - over to them. It has to be possible to recode otherwise if one breaks and they need to replace it how do they code it?

How was I to know that I was buying a bag of nuts and bolts? I didn't need or want it so I sold it - sounds reasonable to me?! The only reason VW make them chassis specific is to deliberately curb the second hand market. Sly b@stards.

I'm going to tell them to do what they want and they can take their sweet time if they must. In the meantime I'll hang on to this more expensive loaner...

I've often wondered what happens with all the ebay buyers of these VIN coded headunits when they don't work in their vehicles. Surely they are all refunded, why are people still selling them? I'd buy a higher spec head unit if I could as I like the OEM look, but I'm not buying one that won't work from some dodgy ebay seller and I'm not paying more than the price of a Pioneer unit to get one from VW.

How was I to know that I was buying a bag of nuts and bolts? I didn't need or want it so I sold it - sounds reasonable to me?! The only reason VW make them chassis specific is to deliberately curb the second hand market. Sly b@stards.

I'm going to tell them to do what they want and they can take their sweet time if they must. In the meantime I'll hang on to this more expensive loaner...
Take the unit out of the loaner ............

There not lying to my knowledge dealers do not have the capabilities to recode the unit, they can remove component protection but more is required.
What's strange is I know of people who have swapped headunits between vehicles and lost functionality ( normally happens after 10 ignition power on/off cycles) but I also know others who have swapped without any issues and units retain full functionality don't have enough details on age/model etc to guess what/why the differences but it is strange

Back