Indepndent Evaluation

I am buying a camper van from a professional converter (the usual deal, they purchased the new T6 and converted and then it was on the forecourt for me to buy).

I am looking into agreed value insurance but it seems to have gone from just provide is pictures to needing an independent evaluation (and then I assume it may come in somewhere between the van price and the price I paid due to the mark-up on these conversions)?

Anyone done this under these circumstances?
Anyone know an evaluator?

I also feel I'm a bit stuck as I sort of have to have the insurance before they decide what agreed value they agree with (as I need to collect it and drive it home).


Senior Member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Sorry to hear your predicament....

I'm finding insurance to be awkward as well... Initially as mine is a panel van and the conversion not yet taken place they are happy to insure on that basis, but when i said it was being converted into a motor home shortly, they weren't sure they could insure it... and told me to ring customer services but still took my initial payment for insurance cover as a panel van..

If it has been registered by the converter with the DVLA as a 'panel van with windows' then you may struggle to get a higher level of 'motor home' insurance cover...

Realistically, I think the best i can hope for is to list the modifications carried out during the conversion and try and get insurance cover somewhere in between.

In your case I think i would take it to a couple of caravan / motor home sales centers and ask for a valuation as if they were going to purchase it from you... get 2 or 3 prices in writing and hope thats enough for your insurance company... But either way it sounds like you will have to drive around in it for a while with a lower level of insurance cover than the money you've paid for it....
It was more difficult than I appreciated. Ultimately it came down to two choices.

Safeguard - who even kept their old for new rule despite it being a conversion as they work with a range of dealers and mine is one of them. I asked all the questions in multiple ways and they insisted they would get a new transporter and put it through the conversion process with the dealer if within the new for old rule.

A-plan who insure modified vehicles so they accept that they have insured a van that is modified as a campervan.

Then I have also found a company whose name I forget here that will provide gap insurance to invoice as long as the van is bought as a concertion from a VAT registered dealer and the invoice reflects this.

For various reasons I had to go with A-plan and the Gap insurance.

But Safeguard seemed very good. But not useful to you.

A-plan would be though I believe.

As for it all being reliant on what's with the DVLA - we better hope not because they're being very strict on the typical poptop roof concertion and literally no one is getting away with it currently.