Improvised Winch

KombiKommando

Dogger
T6 Guru
Here's an idea....

I can't afford a winch for my self titled adventure van/swamper. I can however, get my hands on a loading strap for container lorries which are designed to hold weights of 5 ton. They come with a massive over engineered ratchet. I reckon it would do as an emergency hand cranked winch if I ever get stuck. Thoughts.......?? Has anyone ever tried it??

Here's an idea....

I can't afford a winch for my self titled adventure van/swamper. I can however, get my hands on a loading strap for container lorries which are designed to hold weights of 5 ton. They come with a massive over engineered ratchet. I reckon it would do as an emergency hand cranked winch if I ever get stuck. Thoughts.......?? Has anyone ever tried it??
I’ve used them previously as makeshift winches. You need 2 though, you can only get a few “cranks” before the ratchet is full. You then have to use the second strap to hold the load whilst you unwind the 1st strap. Repeat as necessary. It’s slow & tedious. Also the 5tonne is the load rating of the strap, not the pulling capacity of the ratchet.

might be worth looking at things like that maybe

i thought i wanted an electric winch but sensors, insurance, cost... tempted by something like the handwinch, just in case

Neither, farm jacks are heavy and only useful for casting you out of ruts and you don’t want one inside the van if you have an accident.
Steel cables are a hazard.

Considder a demountable winch with a dynema poly rope. Poly ropes are incredibly light and strong and have no kinetic energy when they or the think they are connected to breaks.

i've seen post about steel ropes...
i think some people use covers on them to try to reduce kinetic energy if/when they break

do you have links to the types of demountable winches you mentioned Loz?
thanks

I’d go for a towball /towing eye mounted one. I have Anderson connectors at the front & rear of the van for the boat winch.

Back