Impact Wrench

Urbanfox

Bri
T6 Guru
I'm thinking of getting an 18 - 20v Impact wrench, one that will remove the wheel nuts, 180Nm. I don't have lockers, more trouble than they are worth.
I would also use it for other jobs ie removing the brake disks, again 180Nm.
So any suggestions? I have looked at quite a few from eBay specials to Dewalt but first-hand knowledge is unbeatable.
I don't have any portable DeWalt tools so that one would be pricey.

I have a dewalt dcf899n and would recommend...it was one of the cheaper when looking at the 'trade' brands. it also can deliver a max torque of 950Nm which is more than a lot of the offerings (for me something i wanted as it sometimes gets used on some pretty big wheelnuts!)

I have a dewalt dcf899n and would recommend...it was one of the cheaper when looking at the 'trade' brands. it also can deliver a max torque of 950Nm which is more than a lot of the offerings (for me something i wanted as it sometimes gets used on some pretty big wheelnuts!)
That's the one I have been looking at, seems to be the dogs, just need to compare a few and prices for the unit with charger and battery.

I've got Makita.... the smaller one and 1000 beast... but I already had the batteries and charger, ...... so it was a cheaper addition to the set.

Got the Ryobi 18v (400nm) one from Halfords. £159 including case, battery and some sockets and a screwdriver bit holder. If you have a trade card, you’ll save some more as well.

Last edited:
Is it the DT285Z? It looks good.
That's the one, find it spot on, makita also make an adaptor so you can use it as an impact driver too, so not only does it do my van but it does my DIY projects too :thumbsup:

Another vote for the Ryobi One 18v brushless. I have built up quite a collection of Ryobi kit (brushless drill/impact wrench/SDS+ drill/circular saw/right angle drill) and use them professionally. They're not in the same league as Makita or DeWalt, but then they're nowhere near the same cost.

This thread reminds me. When I was at Transporter HQ the other day, Mikey was showing off his new Milwaukee impact gun. It weighed as much as a car and had it's own tracker built into the gun o_O
Plus you could customise the torque settings and all sorts of amazing stuff. Major tool envy.

This thread reminds me. When I was at Transporter HQ the other day, Mikey was showing off his new Milwaukee impact gun. It weighed as much as a car and had it's own tracker built into the gun o_O
Plus you could customise the torque settings and all sorts of amazing stuff. Major tool envy.

That’s brilliant - although a sad indictment of our times. Fancy having to have a tracker in your tool so you can find it again! Flamin' tealeaves!

I'm still trying to justify getting an impact driver, haven't got a need for one, just a want, sadly an impact wrench is even harder to justify

Search youtube for makita clone or Ave youtube channel for a full tear down and review.
My mind is boggling with all the youtube vlogs about the different Impact wrenches!!!!!! Seen one abt a Makita clone, not impressed.
There are quite a number of Impact wrenches that are the same but have different names like the Clark ones which are the same as other brands.

Dewalt are the best as far as I can see, the look better than Milwaukee but are pricey for occasional use. The old adage though, you get what you pay for?
The two DeWalt 899 and 894 look and get very good reviews. The 899 is a beast of a thing while the 894 is smaller and compact and costs more than the 899?
Wouldn't it be great to get a good decent wrench for £50!!!:rofl: If you can, let me Know.:thumbsup:

I'm still trying to justify getting an impact driver, haven't got a need for one, just a want, sadly an impact wrench is even harder to justify
I'm trying my very best to justify needing one but there is that niggling doubt in there. The Dewalt and Makitas are going to cost £270 - 350 depending on the model and where you get it from but for home use, I would never need to buy one again. There you go, trying to justify it again.:unsure:

I bought all my Makita’s naked & new off eBay. As I’m not a tradesman, I bought the cheaper generic batteries that have been fine. Cases are cheaper bough separately too.
My son prefers Dewalt but even their battery lifespan isn’t clever!

The DeWalt DCF899 is also a similar size, a beast of a thing, and shifts almost anything.

Back