Ignition piggyback walkthrough.

Kedlestone

Hi all,

I’m at the point of wiring up my Ctek 250se and understand the small positive wire needs and ignition feed from the fuse box. I’ve orde a 15A piggy back fuse holder, when it arrives what fuse am I best to go off in the fuse box? I read somewhere about middle row towards the top but just want to make sure I do it all correctly.

Am I correct in saying the the piggy back has to go in one way only too?

Cheers

You need a mini piggyback fuse holder.

I read somewhere about middle row towards the top..

Correct.

Am I correct in saying the the piggy back has to go in one way only too?

Also correct. :) When you plug it in the wire coming out the piggy should be on the left hand side.
The fuse holders are live on the right terminal then the inserted fuse takes that power to the left terminal and on through the van.

You need a mini piggyback fuse holder.

Correct.

Also correct. :) When you plug it in the wire coming out the piggy should be on the left hand side.
The fuse holders are live on the right terminal then the inserted fuse takes that power to the left terminal and on through the van.
Thanks for that :) Do I need to add an additional fuse to the piggyback or am I literally inserting the piggyback into the original fuse position and then adding the OEM fuse to the piggyback?

Sorry to ask in simple terms, don’t want to risk any issues.

Thanks for that :) Do I need to add an additional fuse to the piggyback or am I literally inserting the piggyback into the original fuse position and then adding the OEM fuse to the piggyback?

Sorry to ask in simple terms, don’t want to risk any issues.
You’ll need an additional fuse. 1 for the OEM circuit that you are piggybacking from and one for your new circuit.

2a will be sufficient. It’s only a signal that’s required

You’ll need an additional fuse. 1 for the OEM circuit that you are piggybacking from and one for your new circuit.

If you look at the piggy from the top with the wire to the left then the bottom fuse holder is for your OEM fuse and top fuse holder is for the piggy wire sending the signal.

Which fuse did you use for the piggyback? I’m wiring in a 12v socket tomorrow for the rear of the van to run an electric cool box that I want to run off the ignition, I’ve read the guides but it’s not clear which fuse in the middle row is the best to use as a piggy back?

Which fuse did you use for the piggyback? I’m wiring in a 12v socket tomorrow for the rear of the van to run an electric cool box that I want to run off the ignition, I’ve read the guides but it’s not clear which fuse in the middle row is the best to use as a piggy back?
I didn’t get around to it today as the delivery was late in the day for the piggyback. I’m just going to go off the advice above and go for a middle row fuse, towards the top.

I’ll hopefully be doing it tomorrow so I’ll let you know if you haven’t done it already.

I forgot to count the number of spaces down but it’s piggybacked of a 7.5A fuse on the middle row. I seem to remember it was the 3rd fuse down from the top as I couldn’t get the piggy to sit correctly on the top two as it fouled on the trim. Seems to work as it should though.

I forgot to count the number of spaces down but it’s piggybacked of a 7.5A fuse on the middle row. I seem to remember it was the 3rd fuse down from the top as I couldn’t get the piggy to sit correctly on the top two as it fouled on the trim. Seems to work as it should though.

Top man!! Thanks. Planning to do it at the weekend.

Reviving this thread to ask a question. I am going to buy a mini 2amp fuse for the ignition signal on my T6 to the DCC50S battery charger. I guess any empty fuse locations will not have a live on the right (#) ? I should 'piggy back' off an existing fuse but my question is:-

If I push a 2amp fuse into the back of a 10 amp fuse. Then won't that now be a 12amp fuse into the original fuse out pin (LHS) as well as the ignition signal for my leisure battery charger? I'm effectively putting a 2amp fuse in parallel with the original fuse, so it would now take (original fuse size)amps + 2amps?

Or am I missing something?

# - I also assume that the right side of the centre fuse column isn't just a bussbar, i.e. female spade terminals all the way down?

Cheers.

Back