Ignition Kill-switch

Mr blue

T6 Pro
Hi I was thinking last night about van theft and had an idea if you disconnected the clutch down switch,then even if they stole the keys they still couldn’t start the van as it would think the clutch wasn’t down and show depress clutch on mfd. if you had a switch hidden away glove box ,under drivers seat etc to override this ??? Thoughts gang ?

If you put a three way switch in, you could short the clutch switch out in one position so it then becomes possible to use the starter motor to move the van should the need arise.

Reactions: mmi
For the DSG vans, you could put a similar secret switch in series with the brake light switch, so that it never appears that the brake pedal is being pushed, and again not able to be started. You'd always 'disarm' it to start the van, so no danger of going off without functioning brake lights...

Possibility might be to install a hidden switch (maybe don't put pictures of where you have it online :p) between your contact wires (like a second contact almost). As long the switch is not activated, it's not possible to start the car.

Another one (but maybe a bit clumsy) might be drilling a hole through the turning seat base, to be able to put a lock, with the driver seat turned backwards. Makes quick driveaway pretty difficult. But it's a bit much to have to have your seat turned around every time...

And you can pull the fuse that supplies the ignition relay...

but after faffing about with all that I just got a Ghost, much simpler..

How are people getting on with their 'Ghost' setup? Is it easy enough to use?
What price did you all pay and how long was fitting after booking?
Are most insurers accepting these now or are people fitting them just for piece of mind?
I'm considering this over a tracker but not sure if that's the best way and whether my insurer would accept it yet or not. I'll try calling them again today but they're so busy at the moment it's taking ages to get any answers.
Cheers!

I didn't buy a Ghost to satisfy any insurance criteria, it was for my own peace of mind and allows me to sleep well at night.
I added it to the insurance as "Additional Imobillser" and also my Back2you tracker as "Additional" tracker.
The cost includes installation and is a universal cost of £399
Very happy with our, its just second nature now.

I have recently been looking at security systems and found something called Starline Systems. Basically it is an alarm/immobiliser.

This is a reply I got on facebook:

Star line prices
Hi so the S96 system is £690 plus vat, this is the flagship unit of the brand,the unit provides the most options available, we can offer other options, However some options available with the S96 will not be available with the other products
As standard with the S96 you get
free tracking for life
Free app
Shock & movement sensors
Warn away
Multi point can protection (obd protection engine blocking and customer immobilisation points)
2x Bluetooth security tags
Flashing blue led
Valet mode
Arm/disarm via factory key
Anti hijack
Ghost style immobilisation (subject to vehicle)
Notifications to smart devices on warn away and full alarm
Bolt ons include
Remote start £250
Proximity sensor £75
Load area sensors £75
Keyless entry £150
Mirror fold on engine off £65
Eberspacher/webasto connection £65
Bespoke program options- ask
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us
We have various demo videos on or fb page @insurefitvehicleinstallations
Or take a look at the YouTube channel and fb pages of starline systems Uk

I used to work with a South African service engineer and he said carjacking was a real issue so standard issue in their tools was a gun to keep under the driver seat!

I spoke with Just Kampers and it doesn’t make any difference in premium having the Ghost 2 fitted. Like others have said I purchased it for that extra piece of mind. Guy fitted mine last Saturday and was here about an hour max. Guy called Dell. Absolutely spot on he was.

How are people getting on with their 'Ghost' setup? Is it easy enough to use?
What price did you all pay and how long was fitting after booking?
Are most insurers accepting these now or are people fitting them just for piece of mind?
I'm considering this over a tracker but not sure if that's the best way and whether my insurer would accept it yet or not. I'll try calling them again today but they're so busy at the moment it's taking ages to get any answers.
Cheers!
I think I have now driven the van once since getting the ghost fitted and remembered to enter the code before having the engine stall on me. Hopefully it will become second nature soon!

like @Loz I installed for piece of mind and haven’t even told the insurers yet. Wouldn’t it be ironic if it not stolen now and the insurers didn’t cover it as I hadn’t informed them of a change!o_O

Back