Ignition key turning round in ignition lock

TTKT

Australian Member
VIP Member
Hi. Maybe a rare problem ? When trying to start the (2 yr old) van, the ignition key turns past the usual spring-loaded stop (where it usually starts the engine) and just keeps turning round in the lock without "catching" anything, multiple times. Feels rough but not hard to turn. Not affected by steering lock. Key could be removed. After a few tries in and out it worked as normal. This has happened 2 times now, 2 weeks apart. Is this a sign of impending total failure, or a "design feature"?? Thanks for any suggestions, TTKT.

Possibly the switch mechanism on the end of the lock is failing or become detached?
Why not remove the trim and take a look at it.

Possibly the switch mechanism on the end of the lock is failing or become detached?
Why not remove the trim and take a look at it.
Thanks. I have had a look - I cannot seem to get the bottom trim completely off without taking off / dismantling the wheel and I want no explosions, so I stuck dental mirror and probes in there after my fat fingers and there's nothing loose or wobbly in the area. And of course today I cannot force the key problem to appear no matter how much I fiddle with it!

try a squirt of WD40 maybe?
Thanks for that. In a clean place, maybe WD40 - but I don't feel keen to put any liquid in a lock in our dusty climate, so will try graphite if it recurs I guess. Fingers crossed.

I have used graphite powder in the past to lubricate a sticky lock barrel and it works very well (just tricky to get in there)

Hi. Maybe a rare problem ? When trying to start the (2 yr old) van, the ignition key turns past the usual spring-loaded stop (where it usually starts the engine) and just keeps turning round in the lock without "catching" anything, multiple times. Feels rough but not hard to turn. Not affected by steering lock. Key could be removed. After a few tries in and out it worked as normal. This has happened 2 times now, 2 weeks apart. Is this a sign of impending total failure, or a "design feature"?? Thanks for any suggestions, TTKT.
I have this same problem today, I was able to push a little harder and the barrel engaged the mechanism. What is likely to be the problem?

Still no idea! It happened to me again 2 times in last week. Each time, when I found a position where I could remove the key, it would work OK again once key was re-inserted. NOT related to steering lock or wheel/column position.
This still smacks of an extremely dangerous fault especially here in outback Australia! Regards, Tim.

Same experience here. It started working and I've forgotten about it since

Back